Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LF18N401 vs 18NLW9400 in band-pass horn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgarfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LF18N401 vs 18NLW9400 in band-pass horn
    Posted: 04 September 2017 at 3:26pm
good afternoon, i designing a bassband horn like the funktion one f118 but whith a few modifications, being italian, i would like to stay on 2 this brands, i simulated on akabak both woofers whit my plan and as frequency response they are similar ..

technically looking at the declared data:
bl: 26 nlw 27.8 rcf
mms: 180 nlw 201 rcf
xmax 9.5 nlw 8.8 rcf

i've read this:
and it highlighted the importance of voice coi inductance
 1.9mH NLW  2.5mH RCF @1kH

For this type of bass box, it is important to have a definite fast punch effect , now assuming  almost similar cost (300€rcf, 360 the eighteen sound) ,and similar  availability of spare parts, which you would choose

Edited by sgarfa - 04 September 2017 at 3:59pm
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2017 at 4:07pm
I cannot really help you on decisions in terms of reliability of the speakers, but being in italy, you have much more companies to choose from. For starters B&C speakers, RCF audio, Faital Pro.
Voice coil inductance should be almost of no concern, as for bass actual speed of change in dynamic signal is not that needed. Even so called slow drivers can be made to sound bright and fast. It depends on the whole system.
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
sgarfa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgarfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2017 at 9:00am
thks anyway..... in this type of load, its near a reflex system rather like a real horn, than the low compression ratio so that they can be used not rally robust woofers
Marko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2017 at 9:36am
Originally posted by sgarfa sgarfa wrote:

thks anyway..... in this type of load, its near a reflex system <span style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; white-space: nowrap;">rather like a real horn, than the low compression ratio </span><font face="arial, sans-serif"><span style="font-size: 13px; white-space: nowrap;">so that they can be used not rally robust woofers</span>

Why you think that this is near a reflex system?
This is 4th order bandpass with flared port rather than a horn. For 4th order bandpass you need drivers with high QMS values same as in sealed box design. But many bph designs are loaded with stiff drivers so it depends what type of result you after.
 Post Reply Post Reply