Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

modified hogs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jngggggggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: modified hogs
    Posted: 06 September 2017 at 10:21pm

is anyone aware of modified hog plans that can play to 30hz *flat* without requiring group loading?

would love to talk to someone that either has this already or could help me mod the existing plan..
thanks!
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2017 at 11:45pm
"without requiring group loading?"

Group loading reduces size for ease of transport.

Building a single 30hz horn might just be a bit too big to move (insert smiley face).
djk
jngggggggg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jngggggggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2017 at 12:55am
But it also means that I need 6 scoops (for example) to get down low where as I may be going to venues that only require 2 subs to fill the room. I want the flexibility in that sense.

And just so it isn't brought up again, I am aware of othorns but am after a hog variant as I really like the look ( :3)
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2017 at 1:50am
"But it also means that I need 6 scoops (for example) to get down low where as I may be going to venues that only require 2 subs to fill the room. I want the flexibility in that sense."

You need to get an MBA.

Did you know that people with an MBA are able to change the laws of physics by a factor of 0.1X (or 10X), depending on which works better for them?

There is a reason why a 500hz  JBL 2360 HF horn is 32" x 32" x 32" (without the driver).

Horns are great, if you have a truck to move them, and the venue is big enough to use them.

A tapped horn may be a good compromise for some. It is not actually horn loaded in the region we are using it, and thus follows different rules that a horn does.

Horns can reach 50% efficiency (in theory), reflex can reach 25%. That is only a 3dB difference. The flexibility offered for small venues may be what you need. Two drivers that are 4% efficient will be 8% in a dual driver box, two boxes will be 16%, three boxes will be 25% (the theoretical maximum).

My 30hz PPSL is 101dB/W/1M (8%), two boxes are 107dB/2.83V/1M (16%), three boxes are 110dB/2.83V/1M (25%). Most of the time they are used in pairs, so they are 107dB/2.83V/1M, -3dB at 30hz, and a nominal 4Ω load (easy on the amp). Three boxes are 110dB, and a nominal 2.7Ω load (requires a good 2Ω rated amp, which will rum well on the 2.7Ω load).

Edited by _djk_ - 07 September 2017 at 11:00pm
djk
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2017 at 8:01am
Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

"without requiring group loading?"

Group loading reduces size for ease of transport.

Building a single 30hz horn might just be a bit too big to move (insert smiley face).
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
It's everything, not everythink!
AndyWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by jngggggggg jngggggggg wrote:

is anyone aware of modified hog plans that can play to 30hz *flat* without requiring group loading?

would love to talk to someone that either has this already or could help me mod the existing plan..
thanks!

Does my "Miss Piggy" count? sensitivity starts to drop at 33Hz when used outside, but it is usable to 25-28Hz inside (and with limiters and HP filter) preferably near room corner. Driver Void-18-V1000. Big and heavy, about 130kg bugger. Dimensions with skids on the bottom H x W x D 126 x 63.6 x 122 cm

sims with void18-V1000 and 18sound 18LW2500
https://forum.speakerplans.com/1x18-tapped-horn_topic39552_page4.html

regards, Andy

edit. not 636 but 63.6 cmLOL

Edited by AndyWave - 16 September 2017 at 9:24am
torturing electrons since ......
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 2:32pm
OTHorn?

Not a modified hog, but well

Also, does it NEED to play that low?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jngggggggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 2:37pm
Thanks Andy I will have a look after work. And othorn is option Sinai but tbh I just don't like their look (bad excuse sorry.......)
AndyWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 2:47pm
I'm just now fixing pic links in my thread because of photobucket cr*p, uploading 'em to speakerplans....Dead

Andy
torturing electrons since ......
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 3:37pm

Thanks Andy I will have a look after work. And othorn is option Sinai but tbh I just don't like their look (bad excuse sorry.......)

I actually know what you mean

Scoops / hogs look a bit "meaner" than a tapped horn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jngggggggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 9:56pm
Yeah. The only good part about the othorn is that you can tag the front XP
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2017 at 12:47pm

But it also means that I need 6 scoops (for example) to get down low where as I may be going to venues that only require 2 subs to fill the room. I want the flexibility in that sense.

And just so it isn't brought up again, I am aware of othorns but am after a hog variant as I really like the look ( :3)

If you build 4x Superscoops, and load them with Void V18-1000, and power them with proper, proper amp, like Void Infinite 8 MK2 or better, you could HPF them at 35hz/18db slope, and most people would find sub, not lacking anything at all.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
 Post Reply Post Reply