Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello, help needed for speaker wiring.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schumann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello, help needed for speaker wiring.
    Posted: 10 September 2017 at 11:22am
Hello folks and expert buddies,

I am building a stereo speaker system for home. I guess I am a newbee, so posting it here.

I bought the material already, and then later I realised I have to match them correctly.
Here is what I have- 
1) 210 x 210 watts amplifier. 4 to 8 ohms range.
2) A pair of 300 watts crossover. 4 to 8 ohms flexible. 
3) Pair of 4 inch full range speakers, 8 ohms, 15 watts.
4) Pair of 4 inch woofers, 8 ohms, 40 watts.
5) Pair of dome tweeters, 8 ohms, 15 watts.
6) Pair of ribbon tweeters, 8 ohms, 15 watts. 

So including tweeters, I will be hooking 4 speakers on each channel.

I tried single 15 watts full range speaker to the amp, and it goes crazy after 10% volume. If I attach it in serries with the woofer it works better, but still I have to keep below 50% volume. 

I want to attach all these,  two tweeters, 1 woofer and one full range drivers on each side without getting distorted even at full volume(without loosing sound quality) .
May be I need to attach some capacitor in serries? Or....
Please give me some ideas. 

Thank you, see you Smile
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 11:59am
Is your amp 210 at 4r or 8r? I don't think there is a range. It is or it isn't. Is it a HI FI amp or PA amp? Your speaker will add up to 85w. Is that peak? Or continuous? Or program?
Lots more info needed I would guess.
Schumann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schumann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2017 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by doller doller wrote:

Is your amp 210 at 4r or 8r? I don't think there is a range. It is or it isn't. Is it a HI FI amp or PA amp? Your speaker will add up to 85w. Is that peak? Or continuous? Or program?
Lots more info needed I would guess.

Hello,
 My amplifier is TDA8954, class D amplifier, 210 + 210 watts , RL 8ohms.
Output resistance is written - 4ohms to 8 ohms. 
It has Ac and Dc both inputs. I am running it on 24-0-24 ac transformer. 
The speakers show rated power, rms power. 
I will post the images of the speaker information when I figure out hout to upload images soon.
Or is it allowed to post product links here?

Thank you for reply, see you.

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 4:34pm
Why did you buy 2 sets of tweeters and 2 sets of 4" drivers? Is the crossover 2 way or 3 way?
Schumann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schumann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2017 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

Why did you buy 2 sets of tweeters and 2 sets of 4" drivers? Is the crossover 2 way or 3 way?

Hallo Conanski, thank you for reply,
The crossover is 2 way. 
I saw somewhere there was this ribbon tweeter and silk dome tweeter as a single unit. I did not find that anywhere, so I bought two of those types separately. The ribbon for very high frequency, and the silk dome for regular tweeting. A full range driver, and a woofer. I planned to use the full range driver directly in parallel with the crossover. 
4 drivers on each side, because I thought my amplifier is total 420rms. So I need more of them to match. 
I chose 4 inches driver because I wanted to build a slim unit. No space for 8inches or 10 inches driver boxes.

Here are the links-
http://s.aliexpress.com/J3u6FjUb
http://s.aliexpress.com/Eje6n6f2
http://s.aliexpress.com/6VniMvYn
http://s.aliexpress.com/jYBbuyM3
The technical data is in the description of each driver page.

Is your amp ........ 
please take a look at these brother.

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 3:14am
Originally posted by Schumann Schumann wrote:

The crossover is 2 way. 
I saw somewhere there was this ribbon tweeter and silk dome tweeter as a single unit. I did not find that anywhere, so I bought two of those types separately. The ribbon for very high frequency, and the silk dome for regular tweeting.
That's isn't going to work. You didn't supply a link for the crossover but you would need a 3 way to split them at different frequencies.

Originally posted by Schumann Schumann wrote:

A full range driver, and a woofer. I planned to use the full range driver directly in parallel with the crossover. 4 drivers on each side, because I thought my amplifier is total 420rms. So I need more of them to match.
These are horrible ideas for multiple reasons, I strongly encourage you to dismiss all this and just build a standard 2 way with a pair (1 woofer and 1 tweeter) each.

Edited by Conanski - 12 September 2017 at 3:17am
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2017 at 11:44am
I agree with Conanski. I was thinking kinda the same thing. Just start with a simple 2 way enclosure. What you are trying to do ie 4 way is really really hard to get rite.
I think that you should also read up on amp power vs speaker power. If you put 210w into a 15w speaker I would guess that you might need to put up with a bit of distortion at full volume. Maybe a smokey smell too.
Good luck with your project.
Schumann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schumann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 7:20am

I agree with Conanski. I was thinking kinda the same thing. Just start with a simple 2 way enclosure. What you are trying to do ie 4 way is really really hard to get rite.
I think that you should also read up on amp power vs speaker power. If you put 210w into a 15w speaker I would guess that you might need to put up with a bit of distortion at full volume. Maybe a smokey smell too.
Good luck with your project.

Hi Conanski and dolar,
Sorry forgot to post the crossover link. Here http://s.aliexpress.com/3Q3qiMBZ

Ok, I should take your advice and build the two way. Will show pictures when finished.
Thank you very much :) :)
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 9:34am
Sorry if I was a bit rude but couldn't help it. That said if you build a 2 way box and get it rite you will learn alot . (maybe you know alot already I don't know) Find out what slopes your cross overs are how many db and what type. Bessel, Butterworth, etc. Valuble info. Distortion is something that I think you will get with a 4 inch unit. I have used them in the past for cafe installs. They won't go loud. 89bd. I personaly think that an 8 inch is the minimum for any kind of bass. But just my opinion others will say different. The best 4 inch I have used was a Scan Speak.
Just read the link It's 12 db. But I am confused about the 4r and 8r.
Looks like translated Chinese.
How can this be 3000hz 4r and 8r ? Anyone? Shouldn't it should drop to about 1700hz at 4r. Rough guess.
Schumann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schumann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2017 at 7:00pm

Sorry if I was a bit rude but couldn't help it. How can this be 3000hz 4r and 8r ? Anyone? Shouldn't it should drop to about 1700hz at 4r. Rough guess.

Hello, not rude to me, because I understood that you are a senior experienced builder. Smile
I only have soldering skills, designing skills, and everything in art and a few things out of intuitions like Leonardo da vinci, which turns perfect so far. Dont know much about the electronic values.

I actually chose that crossover because it was the only one close to 210watts, other crossovers were of much less watts. Yes that seems to be translated from Chinese language, which I presumed as 4ohms and 8ohms flexible. 
I was looking for natural bass, not much exagerated, so I chose the passive crossover. Only concern was to protect the tweeters from low frequency. 
I could have just added a capacitor to do that, but I felt to add something stronger which will not get heated. 
As you said, may be I will try the 8 inch or bigger driver in my next project. 

I found out that when I add a tone controlled preamplifier, I can control the input towards the 210+210 power amplifier. Embarrassed
Will try more experimenting,  with 2 way.  

Thanks again, see you 

Edited by Schumann - 13 September 2017 at 7:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply