Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Decisions decisions...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Guthix Guthix wrote:

Okay, sorry what exactly do you mean by aligned?

Go to the Yamaha product page and look at the bit that says "FIR-X tuning". That may be why the bin doesn´t like your other cabs.

Here:

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/speakers/dsr_series/features.jsp#1411674

EDIT:

" It just seems odd that the passive crossover in the cabinet"

Definitely not a passive!

Edited by Earplug - 15 September 2017 at 7:11pm
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Guthix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guthix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 7:22pm
Ahh right I see what you mean now, the sub is essentially tuned to integrate well with cabinets in the same model range. Correct? My bad, digital crossover not passive. I meant internal I suppose.
Crashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 7:26pm
Ah, passive crossover in a way of bass box, it can also be a problem. You should try more powerful amp and some DSP to find out. Keep in mind that to a point, higher reproduced frequencies actually sound tighter, and even tighter when you cut bottom under 45Hz.

The tops alignment mentioned by the other poster is meant that tops and subwoofer don't overshadow each other and these are in phase at crossover frequency. Otherwise you can get into weird bass anomalies. Before changing tops you might even consider upgrading your signal path, processing and or amps. Generally everything, so to speak. :-D

// bhaha, confusion. You're all too fast! :-D

Edited by Crashpc - 15 September 2017 at 7:27pm
Nikon and Canon people should not be married to each other. Why did you let this happen?
Guthix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guthix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 7:36pm
The subwoofer is active so I can't try a more powerful amp ;) But yes an active crossover and a graphic eq would be a good upgrade, I guess that would prevent "weird bass anomalies"? By that you mean phasing issues I think? 

haha thanks for the advice :)
Guthix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guthix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 7:38pm
Also guys, would it be best just to buy an LMS? Rather than getting a separate EQ, crossover, limiter etc. 
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 8:11pm
You'd be better off just buying the matching tops for your active sub as has been recommended numerous times already…
Guthix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guthix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2017 at 8:15pm
Yes that has been my intention for some time now. I'm talking about upgrading my signal processing as well, not instead.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12