Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PKN Amps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100 Volt-line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PKN Amps
    Posted: 28 September 2017 at 4:55pm
Not posted for a while, so perhaps time to get back into it now the summer madness has died down.

I may be in the market for a 4 channel amp, and have considered MC2, but what are the collective's opinions on PKN?  I have heard of them, but have no experience whatsoever with these units.  Will be loaded at 2 ohms per channel running tops crossed over at 150hz if that helps.

Kind Regards
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 5:30pm
PKN dont like 2 ohm loads.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 9:43pm
Depends on which models of PKN. Some of optimized for 2Ohms or even bellow!

We have installed several stacks of Xe5002 2x 3600W on 2Ohms for discos, pubs and for line arrays too.

LC4004U in some smaller pubs, 4x 1.6KW on 2R yet independent freq. Response of impedance down to 0.4R ;-) Not many of other amps can do that without switching off or trigger protection.

Xe10000U V8 is currently under evaluation. Appatently can deliver 10KW/ ch on 2Ohm, beating Powersoft K20, Labgruppen PLM20000q in every aspects + sound quality ;-)
Soundscape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2017 at 10:50pm
How much output (real RMS watts) per ch do you require?
There's a UK alternative to PKN worth a look IMHO.
I have 2 x 4 channel Linea Research amps running my Inspired Audio rig.
They will deliver 1250W into a 2 ohm load per channel.
Here's a link to the product page: http://linea-research.co.uk/xib4/

Note that they have built-in DSP so this may not suit your setup.

There are other more powerful amps in the product range e.g. the 44M20 - these were mentioned at the beginning of September in this post:
https://forum.speakerplans.com/linea-44m20-any-users_topic99137.html

Pasi didn't seem to like them and I respect his opinion given the vast experience he has.
However, I know someone who operates his own Inspired Audio rig with 2 x 44M20's and it sounds 'mint' to my 60 year old ears! Audiowall are another user/reseller.
Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2017 at 6:04am
Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

Xe10000U V8 is currently under evaluation. Appatently can deliver 10KW/ ch on 2Ohm, beating Powersoft K20, Labgruppen PLM20000q in every aspects + sound quality ;-)

Really! I didn't know that PKN had a extensive library with settings from different manufactures and a Lake beating DSP platform. 
100 Volt-line View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100 Volt-line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2017 at 11:26am
Thanks for the replies everyone.

It was the LC4004 I was looking at. In the real world, the impedance would actually be higher due to considerably lengthy cable runs. 

Kind Regards
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2017 at 10:36pm
a 4 ch amps running down to 2 ohms, guess it will run a lot of cabs, up to 16 8ohm drivers...
isnt that a bit too much?
i mean even if the amp you take is one of the best of the market,and absolutely reliable you'd better go for 2 amps and run them at 4ohm per channel, or get a cheaper replacement amp, because if the amp fails, the gig is dead.
i usually take replacement amps and i really had to use one just once in many years, but it was saturday night at a festivals with hundreds of people attending that stage, glad i brought it...

http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2017 at 12:39am
yeah.. i had an mc2 e475 go down mid gig a while ago randomly.. doing 16 ohms per channel on mids and highs. not good having the top half of a system go down when you're not there..
100 Volt-line View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100 Volt-line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2017 at 3:18pm
Decided in the end to look for a pair of QSC 3002's.

Thanks for everyones input.
 Post Reply Post Reply