Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reverse Polarity?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2017 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by AJ113 AJ113 wrote:

1. Why doesn't the Tannoy B400 manual warn about sending frequencies lower than 60Hz to the cabs?
They are designed to be used with Tannoy system processors so you should lookup the processing specs for one of those or contact Tannoy to get recommended processing settings.

2. I have hammered these cabs at full output with a Studiomaster Ax 3500 many times.
Connected how.. 1 per channel? Do you drive the amp to clipping levels?

I have never made any effort to control sub-60Hz frequencies, and they are still working just fine. So why haven't the drivers self-destructed as described above?
A couple possibilities, you're not really hammering them as hard as you think, or the music you are playing really doesn't have a lot of sub 60hz content.
mitchiemasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchiemasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2017 at 7:21pm

Quote I was always never happy with the sound, even when everyone else loved it.
That suggests it's you who may learn one day. If everyone in the venue loves the sound, it's job done.

Some of us strive to be better. Now isn't that why you are here in the first place? 
AJ113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2017 at 9:20am
Originally posted by mitchiemasha mitchiemasha wrote:

Some of us strive to be better.
Better than what? Or should I be asking better than whom?

Now isn't that why you are here in the first place? 
I'm here to glean whatever information I can so that I can set up my rig optimally with the least amount of grief. If you want to interpret that as 'striving to be better' that's your right, but I can assure you there's really nothing more involved than simply requesting information on my part.

If I can set up my rig so that everybody loves the sound, I am content with that, I'll leave the eternal search for sonic nirvana to others.

mitchiemasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchiemasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2017 at 3:12am

Better than what? Or should I be asking better than whom?

Our selves. I'll try word it differently. Wouldn't it be a shame to spend all that time, money and effort getting your system as it is, only for it to be running no where near the performance it could be. You could have twice the bass with half the speakers. Adding more when all it is doing is cancelling the other. Or worse, riding your system closer to damage.

People will still love it, people will still have fun but how much of that extra kit is wasted? How much of the time carrying it all in, setting it all up is wasted? Are your tweaks improving the sound or destroying it?

Remember we're still reacting off these words "What ever you do. To you it will sound OK. But it will be wrong." Which i used to try open a thought process. You've focused on that line too much and ignored the other words wrapped around it.

A system is never truly right. It's a trade off of compromises you as the engineer have to make.

I grew up on 'flat pack raves' we did everything the hardway and the wrong way. And, it was fun! We had no option, we had no money. It's always been a mash up. Most will simply say no but i fully understood when you said

That's not an option, it's going to happen.

Yes... People love it, job done but...

Edited by mitchiemasha - 26 October 2017 at 3:17am
AJ113 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2017 at 3:42pm

...Wouldn't it be a shame to spend all that time, money and effort getting your system as it is, only for it to be running no where near the performance it could be. You could have twice the bass with half the speakers. Adding more when all it is doing is cancelling the other. Or worse, riding your system closer to damage.

People will still love it, people will still have fun but how much of that extra kit is wasted? How much of the time carrying it all in, setting it all up is wasted? Are your tweaks improving the sound or destroying it?...
I'll know the answer to those questions when I hear the cabs paired together. I already know what they sound like when used as the sole subs in my system, so I have a good reference.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345