Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adding HD215s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3faze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding HD215s
    Posted: 13 May 2007 at 10:55pm

I am using 2 JBL SR4733 with 2 G subs and  I want to add more kick.

What kind of probloms am i going to have adding 2 HD215 running the same Xover on a Driverack PA?
3faze

jethrocker View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 12:24am
I guess you mean running the HDs in the same freq. band as the reflex cabs? If so, not recommendable.. The cabs will be out of time alignment, the likely result being cancellations at certain frequencies and a highly irregular response...
You'd be better off splitting the bass and playing the HDs as upper bass, for kick, and reflex as subs.. If you're driverack has delays (which I think it does) this shouldn't be a problem as you can fiddle till you get the subs/upper bass aligned..
There was a thread some time back about this configuration..HDs above reflex.. Soundsystemdan I think was the culprit.. Search it up..
soundsystemdan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsystemdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2007 at 11:08am
yes, 'twas me,
that thread is here.
I have been using four HD's with four 18" reflexes, and I've been quite pleased with the results. I've crossed over between the two at 75Hz. As for time alignment, I've tried doing it manually and automatically with a measuring mic. Doing it automatically give some surprising results- delaying the HD's and inverting the phase of the reflexes, but it seems to work. I guess doing it that way takes into consideration the group delay of the reflexes.
Unfortunately I don't get to get the whole rig out often so I've had little chance to experimant, but I'd definately recomend the G sub and HD combo - if run in separate frequency bands.
Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2007 at 12:29pm
mmmm.......
I only have experience of firing HDs above some double 15" reflexs....and i didnt like the results.....
im much more of the opinion nowadays that the less complicated a system is...the better it will sound. ie: more cabinets of the same type...rather than mixing and matching. 4 HDs a side sounds sooooo much better than my 2x double 15s a side with 2 HDs a side......perhaps not quite as low a frequency response...but soo punchy, 99% of people wouldnt notice.
...and for me thats the biggy: why go to the extra effort, if its not even gonna be noticed (self indulgance??)
just my 2p.
peace,
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2007 at 12:30pm
(ducks from Dan)  :)
soundsystemdan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsystemdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2007 at 12:36am
Well Chris, I see what you're saying, but I think there is a notable difference between 18" and 15" reflexes, especially those 15's you had and the 18's I have. I do it as it's making the most out of what is available to me at the moment, it ain't my 'ideal' rig but does a decent job.
Yes, more of the same cab would be simpler and more effiicient.
But as for "mixing and matching", this makes no sense. It can either be one or the other, or in my case - neither; as the different cabs are running different frequencies.

Edited by soundsystemdan - 27 June 2007 at 12:36am
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Strange Daze Strange Daze wrote:

...rather than mixing and matching.

SORRY MATE..
Should have been clearer....

I see what ya saying tho......
Your 18s and tops sound awesome....(havent had the joy of listening to em with the HDs yet.....) but your kit never sounds bad tho eh :-)
I think the point i was trying to make was that if i was building a rig from scratch... I'd build several of the same bass bins....(Ie- HDs), rather than 2 subs, 2 kicks, 2 mids n two tops (a side)....
Im a man of simplicity so id sacrifice some sub and just build a shed load of HDs.......

ps- sorry for the thread hi-jack....
 Post Reply Post Reply