Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My letterbox X1 build **updated**

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phazeone 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2007 at 12:39am

ive now got the second one finished loaded with a pd186.  i couldnt tell no noticible difference between the p audio and the pd, apart from the pd chuffed the air out a bit more.

with both of them on in the club the bass was scary. everything that can shake, shakes! i did a quick test and the amp was peaking now and again at 51v i used the formula v x v % impedience = rms power, whether this is correct or not im not sure but saw it on a car audio site. if so then i was roughly pushing 650w into them, only when the bass dropped low though.

would it be safe to give them a little bit more power?

i'll get a few more pic up 2moz
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2007 at 9:07am
I would stick to that kinda power level... this cab can eat drivers... and you can't hear the dying breath.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2007 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by pooju pooju wrote:

alright phaze one,

so in theory they were getting 1300w a peace and they still seemed to want more

How did you determined thet they wanted more power?

Remember this, in horns and bandpass boxes you dont here any distorsion or cone break up until they sudenly die.

Be careful.

Edited by MarjanM - 13 September 2007 at 2:37pm
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
pooju View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2007 at 3:17pm
mark: thanks,  do you own a pv2600/x1 combo too? or do you mean 'in theory' or based on what others say?  i'm not sure how the bridge mode is configured on the pv, i'll have to look into it. I can't remmember what frequency range its spec'd at but the manual says either 2400w or 2600w at 4r/2r, i just halfed that as a guide [two drivers].

Marjan: good point, i should take that comment back really. i think i tricked myself into thinking it was a reflex, hocus pocus logic here, just the amp somehow seemed a bit weak on them with the attenuator defeated they seemed happy - bit stupid really but think the 'signals clean so lets turn it up a bit a see' approach took over, but as i say think it really boils down to false expectation/counter intuitive perception of  power to output ratio. [i.e thinking doubling output =1:1 not 3:1?]

Phaze 2: nice one, i'll be looking out for the pics they looked quality, and re: power ^ what they said. like i think mentioned best use someones else exact tried and tested setup. I'm gonna tone it down a bit now too as even if the drivers don't pop its gonna short their life. Guess its a case of more bass = more boxes [more pictures ;)].

Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2007 at 10:40am
@pooju no i dont own x1 but pv2600 i do, and if the manual says 2.4k @2ohm bridged then your probably right.... either way who cares if it sounded good and didnt break down then thats all that matters

Edited by Markk James - 22 February 2009 at 12:03am
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
pooju View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2007 at 10:48am
Hi mark, yeah in the end it was ok, you raised a good point though, be good to  find out whats actually happening like phaze one did by getting the multimeter out and seeing how it fits with the manual

CHAMPION View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAMPION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2007 at 7:21pm
nice orignal design and build Thumbs%20Up
Sticks n Stones
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234