Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Plan Requests
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Getting the best performance: Martin audio BSX218
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting the best performance: Martin audio BSX218

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote estro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting the best performance: Martin audio BSX218
    Posted: 08 December 2020 at 2:49pm
Hi I bought an used Martin Audio BSX218 (original form late 70) and restored it. Internally there was no damping anymore so i added some dacron 30kg/mq but I think it needs more since original version was heavily damped. 

I read old posts about that but since I don't have Fane colossus or similar I just used my 18nd9300 wich are the same as 18 lw 1400 from 18 sound but with neodimium. 

Result is not so bad but I think this design can give me MORE. 

I love deep bass and BSX 218 is very similar to Gsub but a lil bit bigger. 
Sure, I should learn to use Winisd and try to fill a new project adding 18nd9300 driver TS parameters and try to compare performance in that box with other drivers,  but I see many times that in real life the best is to ask to someone already tried.

Best results found are with Fane colossus (in this forum) but I'm curious if it is suitable for newer and more powerful subs such i.e. 18 lw 2400 or 18 tlw 3000. 

Here pictures of my job (i know I should use different paint and better grill, I will update at least the barbecue grill LOL)

estro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote estro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2020 at 8:26pm
it is a 50 years old project so I think I may ask am I right?
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2020 at 11:30pm
What do you mean with 50 years project?

Personally I wouldn't go with that much heaftier drivers.
18TLW3000 can move quite some air, and needs port area to do it good.
If you really don't want to simulate something first. 
BMS 18S430v2 is a nice reflex driver.
estro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote estro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2020 at 11:36pm
I tried to simulate but I'm not good to do that. i imported in winisd 18nd9300 wdr file than tried a vented with couple of drivers rectangular port (there is no depth but just area) then tuning it with 376 liters internal volume and 2500w rms calculator say I will reach 138db @64hz but maybe I did something wrong in settings.
 i should study a tutorial. Also internal dacron 300dampening should be extreme, i ordered more to fill more with it (at least 4/6cm every internal side).
I tried changing with tlw3000 and it should perform bad, fane colossus give me worst results. i will try with your one. i think that even if port seems to be large, 18 sound project for that driver have huge port... wich I don't have. BSX project is old but box is well done still as new. Drivers are brand new

Edited by estro - 08 December 2020 at 11:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply