Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good moaning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good moaning
    Posted: 15 October 2018 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by junoprobelaunch junoprobelaunch wrote:

Only in pro audio does a manufacturers specifications mean absolutely  all lol...

Originally posted by valve head777 valve head777 wrote:

car manufacturers mpg claims are also hyped. We live in a world of hype unfortunately, bearing no resemblance to real world reality. The other word to describe this is dishonesty.

Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

Manufacturers specs do not mean f**k all,  you just have understand how to interpret the information they are giving you and how it applys to your application.  

But you cant compare reflex boxes having spl 135 db to another reflex boxes with spl 145db while narrow dispersion state of art horns reach 134 dbOuch
For me specifications dont show the most important thing. If the design was done good or not. No polar plots. Scale like for comparison to atomic blast... No waterfall. Publishing response characteristics after processing is I guess the dumbest scam in the industry. Standard 20kHz is just pathetic. There is TOTALLY NO COMPARISON BETWEEN MULTIPLE MANUFACTURES.
Mid horns can have both nice or bad waterfall depending on design idea which dont have to show on response or polar. Or when you saw producer admitting that hf extension of most common 3 slot phase plug design is way overrated. Admitting that whole industry spent tens of years on perfecting design that from the very start was not a good idea. And I dont care that they couldnt know it at a time...

It is obvious that time and effort spent in designing is cutted much more than time spent in sales/marketting. Its simple economy. Thats why many old designs are still better and exist on the market for 20 years. Remind yourself last 30 billboards of headphones commercials.....
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2018 at 7:31pm
Fundamentally disagree that there's zero improvement and the old designs are better. Watch the horn loudspeaker panel from this year's infocomm on my YouTube channel and tell me those guys have done nothing in their lives or recent years.

Edited by toastyghost - 15 October 2018 at 10:07pm
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2018 at 9:53pm
Did i hear anybody say “Alcons” over here? Just look at the steps they are making regarding ribbon transducers in pro-audio..
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2018 at 9:58pm
unfortunately their sound ( alcon's ribbons) is just not for me, i find them ever so "glassy" even when  heard in some very soft / dead / absorbent venues where most systems sound excellent. still ,each to their own.

there is no doubt that some vintage systems could sound absolutely excellent - but normally only in quite small quantities and with much more truck space and faffing around that modern systems don't require. modern systems invariably scale so much better than vintage ones too.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2018 at 10:04pm
Yeah same for me, I like it for some things but not others. I'm curious to hear a full scale system, and the RR12 is definitely nicer than say an ARCS, but there's a sheen to it that I'm not the biggest fan of for certain environments.

However, there are places where I can see them excelling. No brand or design is perfect for every situation.
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2018 at 10:23pm
Treat it like overall description of PA market. Not detailed.
Lets make example of the product:
Sony MDR 7506. They are on the market for looong. Still have lame designed hanging cables that user can by accident destroy. Main part of them was designed so good though that they survived many others on the market. 
SL1200
Cdj 1000
And competition of vinyl and cd players is huge on the market. It is not a hype like Apple.
In industry where technologies dont change  it doesnt matter if product was developed years ago or today. Important is time spent on the design and skill. Ofc DSP is relatively new, FEM, BEM. Needs also change.

Actually I created this topic hoping to hear more negatives about specifications as it can only make change for better.

Edited by gen0me - 15 October 2018 at 10:29pm
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
partya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote partya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2018 at 11:45pm
I suppose hype is pretty prevelant at this point in history, disproportionately so?

Even though technology moves on, if someone is happy with what they've got and it performs the task it's supposed to, is that so bad? Even with access to huge amounts of factual information, as a species we still often react emotionally rather than logically. Unfortunately marketers know this too well....
Turn it up! Turn what up?
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2018 at 7:34am
A quote from the video. "The character of that particular...."

Is that not exactly what should be avoided? Adding character rather than re-producing accurately?

In perfect seriousness I think this is where dance/reggae (lets just call it club for today) will always differ to live and where a lot of dis-agreement will surface on this forum.
 One strives for perfect dispersion of clarity, one to extend and exacerbate certain frequencies.

Two very different outlooks IMHO, but if you can do both according to requirements....bingo

Edited by nickyburnell - 16 October 2018 at 7:35am
It's everything, not everythink!
 Post Reply Post Reply