Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Google search engine becoming crippled?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Google search engine becoming crippled?
    Posted: 24 July 2017 at 7:38am
Has anyone else noticed this happening? 

I honestly can't remember the last time I couldn't find something (which I knew existed on the Internet) through Google, and was forced to try another search provider. I was looking up a part number (a potentiometer cap, 'KYP-18-16-6' which I'd been looking at the other day. 

According to Google, there is no such thing! https://www.google.co.uk/search?site=&source=hp&q="kyp-18-16-6"

'No results found for "kyp-18-16-6".'

Bing.com recognises the search term and brings up some relevant results.

It's not the first time this has happened in the last week, in similar situations. Obscure part number, or obscure piece of technical information. Google tells me it doesn't exist.

I'm not sure if it's that what I'm looking for is getting more obscure, or that what they're providing is being dumbed down. Bing providing better results than Google is unusual in my experience though.
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 9:17am
it's because when you use quotes, you telle google to search exactly (same characters) what you've typed inbetween. so google finds nothing (well now you find this very post)
If you do the same search without the first -

KYP18-16-6

google finds a lot of results.

Bing seems not to have the same behaviour on quotes

Also, every search system has compromises on how to understand special characters, some of them are ignored

Edited by JBK - 24 July 2017 at 9:18am
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 9:35am
Cheers. I guess it's me who's dumbing down my service!
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 10:12am
As much as I have critics regarding google politics on some subjects (ie privacy), I pretty much rate the efficiency of their search engine, except maybe for some very specific purposes
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 10:25am
I'm still sore that they removed their incredibly useful 'discussions' search filter, to replace it with 'flights' and 'holidays' (or something like that) filters. 

Post Reply Post Reply