Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Goverment help for small rental houses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lickweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goverment help for small rental houses
    Posted: 21 October 2020 at 1:47pm
Hi
Im self employed and run small audio rental company.
No work since march , trying to put food on the table by selling hire stock.

Are there any gov grants for small rental houses?

http://www.liquidsound.co.uk/
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2020 at 2:05pm
There were the two SEISS grants, and we've been vaguely promised a third, for 20% of average profits. 

I won't look a gift horse in the mouth, but my landlord and utility companies have not offered me 80% off. 

Are you signed up to the HMRC self employment email list, grant availability should be announced on there first...
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2020 at 2:18pm
You should have received the first two SEISS payments already, but if you didn't apply for them it's too late now.

The Government seems to have decided that working in the entertainment business isn't a real job, and are content to let it all fall apart. They don't realise that the same companies and technicians that support the hated Luvvies also do all the corporate events...

There is also a drive to get rid of the concept of companies in the industry using freelancers instead of treating them as PAYE casual employees, and Coronavirus has provided the perfect opportuninty to force this change.

kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2020 at 2:55pm
if you are registered for business rates and small business rate relief, the local councils give out grants, at least ours does. The grant is not back dateable if you were eligible for rates relief but didn't apply for it. This is seperate from the SEIS scheme.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2020 at 5:38pm
Self employed you get the SEISS (screwed if you didn't declare what you earned), but that's about all. I got a different job (removalsOuch) from late May when it was clear my summer was dead, so have kept a fairly steady income flowing. Most my self employed event friends i know had jobs in random industries by June.

As a small company, it depends how 'official' it is. As above said, if you're a registered company with premises etc, you could have got business loans, bounce back, grants etc etc. If its a really small to the point of being fairly unrecognised by HMRC, its unlikely to get anything.

The schemes are largely based upon past contributions to the treasury.

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2020 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by madboffin madboffin wrote:

You should have received the first two SEISS payments already, but if you didn't apply for them it's too late now.

The Government seems to have decided that working in the entertainment business isn't a real job, and are content to let it all fall apart. They don't realise that the same companies and technicians that support the hated Luvvies also do all the corporate events...

There is also a drive to get rid of the concept of companies in the industry using freelancers instead of treating them as PAYE casual employees, and Coronavirus has provided the perfect opportuninty to force this change.

All you needed was 3 years of accounts.......
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2020 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by woody2 woody2 wrote:

Wrong... you needed a Self Assessment tax return for the 2018/19 tax year, and were trading in the 2019/20 tax year and you intend to continue trading in this tax year (2020/21).

Edited by APW - 21 October 2020 at 7:09pm
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2020 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

Originally posted by woody2 woody2 wrote:

Wrong... you needed a Self Assessment tax return for the 2018/19 tax year, and were trading in the 2019/20 tax year and you intend to continue trading in this tax year (2020/21).

aka 3 years of accountsLOL
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2020 at 8:17pm
not really 3years of accounts.

I had only submitted 18/19, 19/20 i did a few weeks ago, and this year is going to be pretty dire. At the point i got both Seiss payments, i had submitted one return!

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

wires View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2020 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

I had only submitted 18/19, 19/20 i did a few weeks ago, and this year is going to be pretty dire. At the point i got both Seiss payments, i had submitted one return!

Surely you’ve been self employed longer than a year?
You’ve posted loads on here doing your own gigs and freelancing.
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2020 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

"If you have traded for all 3 years we will first look at your 2018 to 2019 Self Assessment tax return."

Wink
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2020 at 9:32pm
was PAYE for venues a lot of the time when younger, doing other stuff as & when i could. Later at the recession I had 'normal' jobs to pay the bills, with the odd freelance (didn't really do anything for a few years when industrial in Aberdeen). Only a few (~3?) years ago I went properly fulltime self employed, working largely for a company doing hire/install, and lots of freelancing too. Even then a lot of work i've done has been event logistics & production based rather than tech. Far too volatile a market to depend on making a proper living, unless you're established in the right places, which im not.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>