Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gsub: driver and modifiactions for kick duty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolandoalphonso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gsub: driver and modifiactions for kick duty
    Posted: 29 June 2015 at 5:14pm
greetings forum,

i'm about to build 2 g subs for kick bins. (playing ruffly in the area 60 - 160 hz)

-what would be the best drivers? pd 186? fane xb? others?

-would it be a point to make the enclosure a little smaller as to get more push & throw?

if yes, would i have to alter also the ports?

thanks for any advices,

best regards
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 6:15pm

For such a limited bandwidth, you are better off with horns. Possibly the USB.

Best Regards, 

Elliot Thompson
rolandoalphonso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolandoalphonso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 7:02pm
Thanks Elliot, but I'm anyway looking at the reflex for now.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 7:36pm
2 x 15 then, with 3" coils

It's everything, not everythink!
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

2 x 15 then, with 3" coils

Exactly.

This is what a pair of Double Fifteen Reflex bins playing kick sound like sitting on top of subs with the microphone 3 metres away . 

Best Regards, 

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 29 June 2015 at 10:51pm
Elliot Thompson
sn95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sn95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 10:53pm
Or run the G sub as normal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolandoalphonso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2015 at 1:03am
Ok gsub as normal but which driver is the best?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2015 at 12:12pm
GSub is too small, sorry, I've owned them with xb and 186, 4 x separate 200l with same drivers gives more energy, sub and stackabilty. Bigger 2 x 18 needed with todays drivers IMHO

https://martin-audio.com/products/WS218X/

100mm deeper 25mm wider.

Gsub loses a lot of space with that bracing pattern which could be made simpler
DanielIt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielIt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2015 at 12:36pm
Hey guys..i am sorry i dont want to hijack the thread,just asking if anyone has build up half Gsubs and how it sound with Void V18.I might go that route soon because the gsub is way too heavy to 1 man lift.
Measure twice...cut once.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2015 at 6:02pm
V18 1000? NOT a reflex driver. V18 1200 would sound nice, but they don't make them any more

DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2015 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by DanielIt DanielIt wrote:

Hey guys..i am sorry i dont want to hijack the thread,just asking if anyone has build up half Gsubs and how it sound with Void V18.I might go that route soon because the gsub is way too heavy to 1 man lift.

What Nicky B said, plus..... V18 (1000 at least) is not exactly the driver to choose if you want to save weight.
Ciare NDC and NDH 18's model quite well in typical vented boxes and are half the weight of the Void.
David.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolandoalphonso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2015 at 1:41pm
so ok, g-sub is not he best for kick bass. but since i've already cut the boards (!) and want to try it, but thinking i should modify it :

1) would a smaller box volume make a better kick? 

2) would a fane xb 1000 be a well suited driver for this puropse? (i've read in another gsub thread on this forum that it got a more tonal sound and better in higher bass frequencies than the lowest end), compared to for example the pd186.

any comments?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>