Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Halfinator Build - For sale - 28/2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Halfinator Build - For sale - 28/2
    Posted: 19 January 2016 at 8:47am
All the updates are done in the first post!

Update 2016-01-19

Dry fitting all the pieces that i got cut on a local carpentry

12v sla battery, fuses, fuseholder and sealant 

Monacor MPT-001, HP-10W, Hifi grills, corner protection and potentiometer log stereo 50k (how do i wire it? there is no details) 

Update 2016-01-25

Got some packages, wont be using the battery (20 000 mAh china lipo), charger and tda7492 bluetooth amp. 

Testing done on some MDF before the real deal. 

Circle cutting jig

Seems to have a good fit

Update 2016-02-05

47 ohm resistor and 5.5 x 2.1mm dc jack connector

Audio cable, maxamp20, jst connectors, pcb feet, potetentiomter

Today i tested my maxamp but it sounded like crap, i think it's because of the bad soldering, but it the soldering done right? tested with a bluetooth amp and speakers sounded fine. 

Red -> red
Yellow -> white
Black -> bare cable/no color

Update 2016-02-16

Got a new maxamp20 and now it works like a charm!

Best tool ever, now i dont need to pre drill and use screws, now i just use the braid nailer to hold things in place while the glue dries, did only cost about 35$

Update 2016-02-23

Charging cables

Wont be using the corner protection pieces, they require a very rounded egde to fit properly and i cant do that because of the screws/nails i put in it.

Update 2016-02-28

Will connect a voltmeter to keep an eye on the battery level to be sure not to over discharge it, thats why i have 2 switches, one for amplifier power and one for voltmeter/charging

Something went wrong in the measurments here, you can see the gap on the underside of the halfinator. This wont affect the sound quality because this is the door for the electronics compartment. And it will be less visible when i paint the speaker

Edited by roopes - 28 February 2016 at 6:51pm
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2016 at 12:44pm
Looking good, regards the volume, most people will use the one built into the Maxamp which needs a 10k linear pot.
What amp are you planning on using?

Dupe...
Dupe...
roopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2016 at 6:37pm
Thanks! Yea i Will be ordering the maxamp with the 10k pot.
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2016 at 11:30am
Great little amp, I have 2 in my boominator and they sing....
Dupe...
Dupe...
roopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 6:19am
Originally posted by DJ-Dulux DJ-Dulux wrote:

Great little amp, I have 2 in my boominator and they sing....
Dupe...

When you are mounting two amps into the boominator how do you connect the input from the 3,5mm jack to the amplifiers?

Edited by roopes - 21 January 2016 at 6:20am
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2016 at 12:25pm
I have a minidsp in mine so I come out on phones and then into the maxamp FST connectors, I don't have 3.5mm input socket.
Electronics by Simon Redfearn, on Flickr
You can also see the dual volume wiring from a single pot here.
Electronics by Simon Redfearn, on Flickr

Only worth having 2 amps when bi-amping with the minidsp.

Dupe...
Dupe...
roopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2016 at 6:50am
Update 2016-01-25 in first post
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2016 at 7:52am
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2016 at 10:01am
Why are you guys still running things at 12V? You can put a lot more power into those big drivers! 

Nice build
Minirig portable soundsystem movement
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2016 at 10:43am
You can of course but then you have to lug the larger batteries around or take a hit on the run time.
Have you heard a Boominator??
They're extraordinarily loud for what they are.
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2016 at 11:40am
Comes down to design priorities, I want the thing to last at least 4-5 days when camping with at least 2 nights (4 hours) of decent volume. It does this no problem and is plenty loud enough.

Dupe...
Dupe...
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2016 at 11:47am
I agree with Davey, especially for the Halfinator. A lot of people don't need the ~50 hours playtime. A high efficiency DC-DC converter (12->36V) feeding a TPA3251D2 with active filters (steep SSF and XO) would be perfect. The reason most people don't do it is added cost, power consumption and complexity. The Halfinator would be a compact monster in that setup though....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>