Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Halfinator power supply

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stenhousemuir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Halfinator power supply
    Posted: 01 June 2023 at 4:32pm
How goes it people? I've not logged in here for years.  I'm just moving house and dug my halfinator out of the attic (amp9-basic amp).

My battery is long dead I think, but I'm after a dc power supply just to run it in the garden. 

Would this suffice?

If so, I'd go for the 24v one yes? But what rampage? 1 or 2?

I cannot find the amp data on the amplifier spec sheet. 

If not have you any better links for a suitable power supply? 

slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2023 at 8:07pm
Whats an "amp9-basic" ?

If you don't know anything about it - errrr ... how do you expect any of us lot to know ?
Take it to bits and post pics/etc. of the amplifier and we might be able to advise ....
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
carlosdelondres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlosdelondres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2023 at 10:02pm
You'll want something a bit beefier to run it, 2A @24V is only 50w, the amp 9 basic is 4x50w I think? so 3 or 4 amp 24v power supply would be ok, more might be better. Don't know what input voltage range is on amp 9 basic, but I think 27V max? So 19V is probably ok, so an old laptop power supply, if you have one lying around, would probably do the trick.

Edited by carlosdelondres - 01 June 2023 at 10:14pm
Stenhousemuir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stenhousemuir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2023 at 12:29am
Here is the spec sheet for the amp

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15ymIv5sr-xXGHFxbs6wVeGrgPXRL4--i/view?usp=drivesdk

Apologies to everyone, I'm useless at electronics, I managed to buold the halfinator but the battery I was running with it never maximised it's potential, don't want to make the same mistake again

Edited by Stenhousemuir - 02 June 2023 at 12:31am
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2023 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Stenhousemuir Stenhousemuir wrote:

Here is the spec sheet for the amp

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15ymIv5sr-xXGHFxbs6wVeGrgPXRL4--i/view?usp=drivesdk

Apologies to everyone, I'm useless at electronics, I managed to buold the halfinator but the battery I was running with it never maximised it's potential, don't want to make the same mistake again

That link is tiresome - asks for you permission.

What kind of battery is it ? Lead-acid (=heavy) or some variant of lithium ? The battery must have a label with its output voltage - surely ....

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
carlosdelondres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlosdelondres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2023 at 11:23am
19V input will be fine, so repurposed laptop PSU of 80-90w outputish would be a cheap option. Buy one off ebay if non lying about. the extra 5V from a 24v supply won't make that much difference...
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2023 at 8:12pm
Yup 19V laptop adapter should work well .... go for a higher current rating though like at least 3.5-4A ... only snag I can see is if the amplifier is set to run at lower voltage like 12V, you might need to watch it a bit wrt thermal behaviour - doubt it'll be a problem though.
If you have a dead lead-acid battery in there - get rid - its pure dead weight, but makes a decent door-stop.
 Post Reply Post Reply