Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

handles on top/bottom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breakdabeat pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: handles on top/bottom
    Posted: 23 July 2009 at 1:32pm
getting to the stage where i should be putting handles in
instead of carrying the horns with one person either side which makes it hard to get through average doors in the house i was wondering if i could put handles in the top/bottom

iv seen cut outs on the bottom of horns before and wondered if this changes the sound much??
heres a example of cut outs on the bottom panel

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs049.snc1/4451_81702670269_832620269_1713745_7859840_n.jpg

Edited by breakdabeat pete - 23 July 2009 at 2:00pm
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 2:30pm
The major problem you'll have with this is putting handles in the top, as there's not a lot of space and any protrusions into it would alter the front chamber / throat characteristics.
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 3:29pm
handles on the end of the horn mouth wont make any difference, handles on top is a little bit more tricky. Easiest thing is to put them into the dead spaces. 

you dont have to put a little box on the back of them then either. 
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 4:29pm
I've had 1850s in the past with both types of arrangement. The only way of getting handles in the top of the cab without protruding excessively in the throat of the horn is to use the flip out type handles. If you use decent heavy duty ones from penn they are plenty man enough for 1850s but just make sure that you rebate them sufficiently so that rubber tube on the handle doesn't stick out from the surface of the cabs.

If I was to build 1850s again I would use both handle arranegemts, I would use two bar handles on each side and two flip-out handles on each end.

Having handles on the ends makes going though doors much easier as you say but also makes it much easier when stacking cabs 2 or 3 high on their sides; you can lift and tip the cab without having to lift it from underneath.

Having the bar handles on the sides makes getting the cabs into vans much easier though.
me so horny, me love you long throw.
drivebycar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drivebycar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 4:43pm
What cabs are you building pete?
Silas )))))) View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silas )))))) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 6:52pm
I put handles in just the sides on mine and yer never really use them, I probably wouldn't use them on the top or bottom either, its easiest to move just carrying  the bottom edge and then someone with the top edge on the angle. Easy - no handles needed
power in the blood
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 7:02pm
if i was to build 1850s again i would put handles in the bottom of the horn mouth, and then some directly opposite in the dead space at the top of the horn mouth. This way, when theyre on their backs (on their castors), they can be lifted up over steps n stuff easily.
Sinfinity View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinfinity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 10:19pm
like this ?

Matt at ukamp dot co dot uk
Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 10:32pm
yep 
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 10:02am

I used to borrow 4 1850's which had this handle layout too (yes I loved 1850s!) and I always found that the handles were too high up the cabinet when it was on its wheels to lift properly. You keep banging your legs on the box and you have to lift your hands too high to cary the box at a comfortable height.

I found it most comfortable with the handles as near the back of the cab as you can put them without the box becoming unstable when you cary it. Slightly below the centre of gravity when they are on their wheels is fine but not too much.

me so horny, me love you long throw.
breakdabeat pete View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breakdabeat pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by drivebycar drivebycar wrote:

What cabs are you building pete?

186's which are replacing our c subs
my mate has some dual 15" reflexs to go under the 186's

still undecided about handles
the pull out ones look ok altho i would have to recess the wood 12mm to get them flat
if i get castors i will put them on the bottom angles panel wheelbarrow style
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 8:02pm
15" reflex under 186s?
how many 186s r u building?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>