Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Have I just Bricked my DCX 2496?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have I just Bricked my DCX 2496?
    Posted: 03 November 2019 at 1:11am
So I got a serial cable to connect it to my old Panasonic Toughbook and all was fine. they talked and I was looking forward to the next part of the process... Then I see the update software thing and download the latest, unzip it and fire it over to the DCX. It loads across and the laptop and the DCX say restart the thing. I do this and.... blank screen. Is it processing this (its been five mins at least) or shall I turn it off and on again?

Argh! FFS...
blah blah blah blah blah......
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2019 at 3:05am
You committed a cardinal sin, you don't ever update firmware unless there is no choice. Live and learn.

The good news is it should be recoverable, hold down the input A button while powering up the unit and it should regain communication with the PC(after it's rebooted) so you can revert to the old FW version or reflash it again.

P.S. From what I have seen v1.17 is the last stable load so you may need to go find that and load it on the box.

Edited by Conanski - 03 November 2019 at 3:27am
msoundsystem View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2019 at 8:46am
Had simlar issue with one i brought off ebay. It was bricked due to the seller trying to update it via pc. Blank screen on startup and nothing would load the firmware it was essentially stuffed.. In the end a forum member (Pinyorouk) on here burnt the firmware to a new eeprom chip and posted it to me. I installed the chip and it works ever since on an install. The eeprom chip needs to be flashed via a eeprom burner if it becomes bricked. Send Pinyorouk a msg. He may be able to help.. the eeprom chip just slots in and out on a socket.. 

Edited by msoundsystem - 03 November 2019 at 8:57am
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2019 at 2:54pm
Cheers, have now tried pushing the input A button and although some signs of life appear it wont take the software. New Eeprom it is then. Lesson learnt... I hope...
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2019 at 5:44pm
Even with a new eeprom chip, the firmware will have to be written to it via eeprom burner. if you install a new chip into the dcx and try update via pc it will 95% probably brick again.  Good luck! 
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2019 at 5:51pm
Thanks MSSoundsystem. I have replied to an email sent by Matt, the original poster.Will organise a replacement chip.
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2019 at 9:19pm
Thanks all, this is now solved. no new chip needed I hope... As I mentioned, I could get it to a state where the laptop could recognise it but it wouldn't boot up. Trying to re load 1.17 (the one that bricked it in the first place) did nothing. I managed to find a copy of 1.16 and just as a last chance thing, I fired that across and... ping... all back. 

I have however lost all my setting but most of them were from systems from years ago and the one i really needed was very much the first steps of a work in progress.

If anyone knows whats gained by moving to 1.17 let me know and I'll weigh up my options from now.

Once again, thanks very much to folks out there.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2019 at 8:27am
Great news you have sorted it! if i was you i wouldn't bother with the 1.7v just stick with the 1.6v unless the 1.7v offers you something extra thats worth it. I dont know the difference between versions.. but im sure someone who does will be along with an explanation... 

Edited by msoundsystem - 04 November 2019 at 8:28am
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2019 at 9:37am

I purchased a very cheap (£15.00) so called "bricked" DCX from ebay several years ago, it was an early version (with the memory card slot), and the previous owner had also tried installing v1.17 making the unit appear bricked... again reinstalling v1.16 restored the DCX to fully operational!!

I don’t know for definite but I believe v1.17 is for hardware changes in later units, this could make it incompatible with early units.

djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2019 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

I don’t know for definite but I believe v1.17 is for hardware changes in later units, this could make it incompatible with early units.

^ THIS! ^

There's something about it on diyaudio forum saying exactly that.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
Stigbergets_Sweden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stigbergets_Sweden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2024 at 5:27pm
Hey, I've got a bricked DCX2496, wondering if anyone has access to a working eeprom?
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2024 at 1:31pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>