Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hay Bales

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hay Bales
    Posted: 26 September 2021 at 9:38pm
Should know this by now but quick question, are wrapped bales as good at sound propagation as unwrapped bales? Does it make a noticeable difference? Personally I would think unwrapped bales would be better but im having trouble sourcing some. Wrapped I can get easily so it would really help if someone could confirm.

Thanks!
www.requiem-soundsystem.com

Custom Martin Audio WSX, USB & CSG Soundsystem based in Bristol
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2021 at 7:20am
If this is for a licenced event, regardless of how effective the can or won’t be, you’ll also have to add in a full fire risk assessment. The world seems divided as to whether they’re a super high risk or inherently flame retardant. I’ve deliberately tried to burn them (for testing purposes) and got nowhere but I’m also aware that there have been occasions where they’ve caused huge fires…
blah blah blah blah blah......
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2021 at 8:10am
By wrapped you meen wrapped in plastic? 
If so, just peel of the wrap. 

But do NOT drizzle them with water to minimize fire risk. 
Wet bales can self-ignite Confused
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2021 at 10:16am
Originally posted by monkeypuzzle monkeypuzzle wrote:

The world seems divided as to whether they’re a super high risk or inherently flame retardant. I’ve deliberately tried to burn them (for testing purposes) and got nowhere but I’m also aware that there have been occasions where they’ve caused huge fires…

Depends on how tight the twine is.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2021 at 10:56pm
you probably want straw bales as less prone to decompose than hay which is edible and will rot quickly if wet. unless the landowner has a use for lots of hay after the event? not sure what difference wrapping makes acoustically though.
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2021 at 9:40am
It surely cannot make a significant difference if they are wrapped or not.

Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2021 at 10:43am
Maybe more cost effective to selle Amps and dsp you got and buy a powersoft t304 or something lik that. New tech, will hold value longer and be easier to resell than stand alone DSPs I think.

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2021 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

It surely cannot make a significant difference if they are wrapped or not.

Why not? The plastic sheeting used has to be thick and taut enough to reject rainfall without soaking through. Bales are mainly useful for the mid & high frequencies, and skinning the dense material with something non-porous will have a quite significant effect on the absorption coefficient in the upper range. It could even introduce increased levels of late reflections back into the venue, depending on placement and boundary distance.

If it’s sub you’re concerned about, nothing seems to beat shipping containers in the realm of stuff you can dump and reuse after the show.
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2021 at 12:18am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

skinning the dense material with something non-porous will have a quite significant effect on the absorption coefficient in the upper range. It could even introduce increased levels of late reflections back into the venue, depending on placement and boundary distance. 

OK, I'll take your word for it. 
I was imagining the overall effect on the full range signal, I still don't think Mr and Mrs Grumpy, listening to the donk from their bedroom , are going to get a better night's sleep one way or the other.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
 Post Reply Post Reply