Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD12 Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD12 Advice
    Posted: 02 October 2019 at 10:01am
Hi,

I'm working towards building a system for doing small dance events up to 300 people. I'm almost there but I need something to fill the gap between my subs and mid-horns (I'm thinking between 80-300Hz). I was planning to have a go at building some 12" reflex boxes but after doing a bit of reading round on here I'm starting to think that probably isn't my best option and that something like an HD12 would work better.

Can anyone tell me if an HD12 would be the best option or if there is something different that I should consider? Also, if I do go with HD12s, would I need to consider specific drivers or would any 12" low-mid driver do a reasonable job, as I have a pair of decent 12" drivers I was hoping to use.

Lastly, can anyone point me in the direction of plans to build an HD12 or recommend someone in the Yorkshire area that would be able to build them for me? I've had a look on the plans section in here but can only find plans for the HD15 and ideally I wanted something a little more compact to make transporting and storing them easier.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Casual77 - 02 October 2019 at 10:04am
Jacxy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2019 at 10:09am
Cubo 12 could always be an option. Haven't heard much things in the way of modifying the HD15 to fit a 12" driver but again I've never thought of doing it. Either way a HD15 dimensions isn't out of this world and is tried and tested with good results.  

Edit - This may be of help and cut to the chase... https://forum.speakerplans.com/12-kick-bin_topic41674.html ;

Edited by Jacxy - 02 October 2019 at 10:13am
Almost everyone is born a genius and buried an idiot.
Casual77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2019 at 11:03am
Thanks for that. I had actually considered a Cubo 12 and had seen that thread but wasn't sure how to modify the plan from a double to a single cab. I've started to build a few simple boxes but I think that would be beyond my woodworking skill level.

With regards to the HD15, I agree that the size isn't too prohibitive. My reasons for wanting a 12" version are more down to me wanting to make use of the 12" drivers I already own rather than having to pay out for a new pair of 15"s.

Could anyone tell me the advantages of a Cubo 12 or single MKB-230 over an HD12 as I don't have any experience of any of them.
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2019 at 11:13am
Search for a plan suitable for your drivers then. You can''t throw any driver in any box, the boxes are designed around a specific driver.
What is the HD12 cab you are mentionning?

Edited by JBK - 02 October 2019 at 11:15am
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2019 at 11:17am
A Cubo 12 isn't what you're after, it wouldn't sound right in the frequency range you're looking for. A Cubo Kick 12 might do the trick: https://www.freespeakerplans.com/plans/14-plans/basscab/54-cubo-kick

A reflex will also work but typically you'll need double the drivers and power.

Cubo
Casual77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2019 at 11:28am
The HD12 is presumably just a scaled down version of the HD15 to suit a 12" driver. I haven't seen any plans for them but I have seen people selling them and they look like smaller HD15s.

It's difficult for me to find a plan for the drivers because thay are Void and I can't get any Thiele Small parameters for them. I've tried selling them on without any success and they are too good to just sit unused in boxes. I've tried getting some reflex boxes made but the speaker builder I tried didn't seem to want to make a best guess of box dimensions so I bought some 18mm birch ply to have a go myself..... but now I'm thinking something different to a reflex box would be better and I'm open to any suggestions.

Edited by Casual77 - 02 October 2019 at 11:30am
Casual77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2019 at 11:35am
Thanks. The Cubo Kick 12 looks like an interesting option but would definitely not be something I could attempt making myself.

Are there any Yorkshire based cabinet makers who could build me a pair on here?
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2019 at 12:02pm
Just scaling up or down a plan won't work (well, you have no guarantee to yield acceptable results compared to the original plan)

Without any t/s parameters I fear that we can not help you, to know in which box design the driver will perform best.

There are methods to measure the t/s parameters of a driver but it requires some work and equipment.

If I was in you shoes I'll try getting the drivers identified or else buy new ones, you're playing dice here.  I don't see the economy in building x cabs to realize they are not suitable VS buying/building something that's guaranteed to work. It's my opinion, if you want to experiment then go for it (and share the results :) ), but I doubt that you can get any guidance here (apart from people suggesting 12" kick enclosures, but you won't be able to know if you drivers will work in it)

To identify the driver some guys here are very knowledgeable, so if you post what's written on it + photos + the cab it comes form (+ any information you have) you may get lucky (check the existing "driver id" threads on here, often that works)
Jacxy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2019 at 12:21pm
Do you know what the Void drivers were originally in? Or did you buy them new? Whats the mode/name of them??
Almost everyone is born a genius and buried an idiot.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2019 at 12:23pm
The ‘work’ takes ten minutes and the ‘equipment’ is inexpensive or free. REW can do this with some basic wires and an object of known mass plus a bit of tape - a pound coin will do.
Casual77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2019 at 12:28pm
Thanks for that JBK.

I know exactly what the drivers are and and what they are used in but Void understandably don't give out the specs of their drivers. Its a Void V12-500NG used in the Air Motion, Stasys 2 and Axsys 12. The fact that it is used in both a horn and a reflex cab suggests to me that it is quite a versatile driver but admittedly I'm not that clued up in these matters.

So this is where I'm at... I need some 12" kick bins (or something that will do a similar job) and I've got some nice new in box Void drivers that I can either try to use or sell to someone needing replacement drivers for the above speakers. I've had them for over a year now so it's definitely time that I do something with them rather than let them sit gathering dust. I'm certainly open to any sensible suggestions.
Casual77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casual77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2019 at 12:31pm
Toastyghost.... As I recall you are pretty clued up with all things Void. Given what I need and what I've got is there anything that you could suggest I do?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>