Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD15/Reflex Bass Cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tony Insanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD15/Reflex Bass Cab
    Posted: 29 May 2018 at 11:31am
I've been thinking of building something like this for a while. I built a pair of HD15's a few years ago and was always really happy with the sound when they were coupled with reflex PD186 boxes, time aligned. Always wanted to build a single box version of that sound. I'm intending to build four (2 either side), with some 3 way - Mid/High cabs on top. I will probably have to make the boxes an extra 100mm deeper to increase the rear chamber to 300 litres for an 18inch driver (only thought of that after I'd plotted to pdf). Anyway, would welcome some thoughts. 
.....you might also look for her companion, a large Chinese rabbit, who is easy to spot since he is only standing on his hind feet in the shade of a cinnamon tree...
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 12:40pm
I'll be honest, I can't see any advantage in that over using separate reflex and kick cabs, dare I say it, having separate cabs would even make the system more versatile. I do like the idea of using aluminium for the curve and brace, my old HD's would suffer quite badly with power compression when driven quite hard so having the curved part made of aluminium would help a lot in that respect I suspect.
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 12:45pm
Why?. That box will be a 2 man lift, you'd be better off building 4 single 18s and 4 HD15s.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 12:47pm
Wouldn't it be overall easier to manage (load, unload, stack, stock, be modular) to have 2 separated boxes?
I don't really see the benefits of putting all in one big box, only downsides
dekra54 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dekra54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 1:12pm
The idea is a bit unusual. Would call it full range bass cab ^^.

I had a similar idea but with a BMS 2236 horn and a 12" but couldn't get it down to a in my opinion reasonable size.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 2:11pm
agree that there's no good reason to build them like this. about half of the places i go involve stairs..
Tony Insanity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Insanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2018 at 8:08am
Thanks for the replies, at least nobody said they'd sound shit! I'm quite fortunate that we never have to worry about stairs. Most of the parties we do are in remote areas or beaches.There are always at least 4 of us so lifting a few boxes off of 4x4s in no real drama. I absolutely agree lifting big boxes up flights of stairs is a tuff gig. I'm going to give these a go and will post some photos once I start machining them. 
.....you might also look for her companion, a large Chinese rabbit, who is easy to spot since he is only standing on his hind feet in the shade of a cinnamon tree...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Insanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2018 at 8:11am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Insanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2018 at 8:12am
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2018 at 8:53am
If the lifting issue is no problem for you then build them, looking forward to seeing the end result Smile
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2018 at 8:56am
Looks good! As you say if you don't have stairs and have all hands on deck... you should be fine. 

Nice to see something a little different! I would be against putting them into one box too but if it suits your needs... why the hell not!Big smile

Edited by mini-mad - 09 June 2018 at 8:56am
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2018 at 9:26am
Looks a lot better than I'd expect two bins stuck together would look like. Stick a full face grille/foam cover on 'em and leave people guessing about what beast could be laying within!
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>