Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD15 Simplification

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt andrews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD15 Simplification
    Posted: 15 September 2004 at 4:37pm
Firstly, thanks for an excellent resource!

I would like to make a HD15. Unfortunatly I am inexperienced in carpentry so am trying to simplify the plan as much as possible.

Would either of these modifications be sensible, how much would they damage the performance of the speaker?

- Replace the curved section with 3 pieces cut with angled (mitred?) edges to simulate a curve

- Have the back or base removable for driver access

Of course, if all go's well; I will want to make more than one
Matt
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2004 at 4:50pm

I know andrew made the modification where he had the hatch as the whole back panel and I think he found it worked fine.

I think replacing the curve with mitred angles will ruin the sound of the cabinet unless you completely redesgned it. The curved section is actually not too difficult to do, its just hard work and time consuming.

norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2004 at 5:09pm

I'd suggest reading Dom's step-by-step build for the HD15 on speakerplans.  I'm sure the curved section isn't as difficult as you think.  It's just the waiting for each layer to set...

(says he, never having touched a sander!!  )

My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2004 at 6:43pm

Personally I think if you haven't much experience then you'll be much better off building the curved section, as all you have to do is bend the wood.  The only thing is waiting for the layers to dry.

Much easier than cutting accurate mitres if you haven't got a table saw...

I hadn't got any carpentry experience when I built my first hd15 cabs so just give it a go...

whitehousejamie View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitehousejamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2004 at 6:53pm

Hi,

Just wondering, do you have to use thin layers of wood for the curve, or is it possible to bend an 18mm sheet by steam? How about when using MDF?

Cheers

Jamie

matt andrews View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt andrews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2004 at 7:20pm
Excellent, thankyou for all the support guys

I reckon im gonna drive straight in and just get on with it, time to take some measurements to my local wood shop.. (when i get paid)

Just a couple more questions for now

For the curve, should I get the laminates cut to size to take into account the radius gaining 3mm each time eg

472 x 597
472 x 602
472 x 606
472 x 611
472 x 615
472 x 620

Also, I would like to run one of these (just to play with for now) on one channel of a QSC RMX 1850HD (360W @ 8ohms). Will i get anything usefull out of the PD154 driven with this little power. The other channel will be used for my existing full range boxes.

Matt
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitehousejamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2004 at 7:25pm

The best driver to go with, if you are only going to use 1 is the P-Audio BM15LF, and its cheaper too. You would be ok with 360watts going into it, although ideally you would want 500 - 600 watts.

Jamie

matt andrews View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt andrews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2004 at 8:00pm
Once i have one working, I intend to build 3 more and invest in a hefty amp, somthing like the QSC RMX4050HD or one of the new voids everyone is talking about.

Are the P-Audio's as good as the PD's in stacks (4 upwards).

I can see this getting rather expensive and being hard work; but equally rewarding.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitehousejamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2004 at 12:16am

The best driver to use in bigger stacks is the P-Audio C15-500LF, which is little over £100. The PDs are excellent drivers, but you need a lot of power to run them properly.

Jamie

Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2004 at 7:10am

The removeable back approach has still to get the Rog 'seal' of approval.  One day, hopefully at the Soundoff, Rog will be able to compare HD15 units built in different ways.

My approach is to glue/screw the four sides and baffle, and then start on the curved section using load straps to hold the wood down.  Would definitely recommend doing the curved section rather than a load of mitres.

Having a removeable back enables a top hat to be bolted in where the door is on the plans.

Jogge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jogge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2004 at 7:36am
When doing mitres, the chance of airleaks will be bigger.
I personaly would go for a nice smooth curved section.
Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.
Andrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2004 at 8:41am

Also, I tend to use a tube of Gripfill per cabinet, mainly to glue down the first curved section from the inside, and thereafter any other inside edge, including the baffle.

The first unit I built, the curved section was made from 2mm MDF, nice and flexible, with lots of thin strips, like a roller blind/door, effectively lots of mitres, between layers.  Would definitely go the thin ply route, but the first layer is a bit tricky to bend.  Thereafter you just need to ensure that there are no air gaps between layers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>