Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD15 with speaker waffle grills?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD15 with speaker waffle grills?
    Posted: 08 June 2023 at 1:44pm

Anyone tried HD15 with heavy-duty speaker waffle grills?

Installed with rubber mounting gaskets on the front of the driver.

Will it be a tight and vibration proof?

Edited by piers1 - 08 June 2023 at 1:46pm
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2023 at 2:10pm
HD15 does not have an exposed driver?
piers1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2023 at 2:15pm

That is correct, but you can reach the driver trough the horn.

The HD15 is in perfect height for that, in middle of my stack.

APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2023 at 5:49pm
Put a full grill on the front or a smaller grill down the horn near the brace. i.e. like the EAW LA400.... if you are in the UK PM Markie, he is the forums goto guy for custom grills:

Edited by APW - 08 June 2023 at 5:50pm
piers1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2023 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

Put a full grill on the front or a smaller grill down the horn near the brace. i.e. like the EAW LA400.... if you are in the UK PM Markie, he is the forums goto guy for custom grills:

Thanks for the info. I would like to hear from HD15 owners,

if anyone have, an experience with the grills mounted direct on front of the driver.

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2023 at 9:57pm
markie has pretty much retired from grill making.

I don't think they're necessary for hd15s.
piers1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2023 at 4:11am
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

markie has pretty much retired from grill making.

I don't think they're necessary for hd15s.

Grills are not “optional” after damaged drivers.

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2023 at 6:44am
has it happened? I have run similar turbosound bins for many years now and never had someone reach all the way in to damage a driver.

clamps
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2023 at 9:18am
Do you mean installing such a grill on the inside of the baffle, between driver and baffle? Personally wouldn't do that. Someone malicious cojld still use a screwdriver or pencil or knitting needle to poke through the gaps of the grill.

Better install a grill at the throat, as indicated in the picture. This will most efficiently prevent anyone from getting near the driver to damage it. And you will not have the risk of your cone or suspension hitting the grill.

piers1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2023 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by bob4 bob4 wrote:

Do you mean installing such a grill on the inside of the baffle, between driver and baffle? Personally wouldn't do that. Someone malicious cojld still use a screwdriver or pencil or knitting needle to poke through the gaps of the grill.

Better install a grill at the throat, as indicated in the picture. This will most efficiently prevent anyone from getting near the driver to damage it. And you will not have the risk of your cone or suspension hitting the grill.

Yes, preferably grill on the inside of the baffle and driver.

But regardless of the grill position, I am more interested to hear if anyone out there have grills on HD15’s, if so what is the experience in regards vibrations and sound?

Edited by piers1 - 09 June 2023 at 12:58pm
piers1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2023 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

has it happened? I have run similar turbosound bins for many years now and never had someone reach all the way in to damage a driver.

Most Turbo’s are a bit deeper than a HD15’s.

Just enough, to reach a driver harder.

Edited by piers1 - 09 June 2023 at 1:01pm
 Post Reply Post Reply