Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD15's and P-Audio drivers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD15's and P-Audio drivers
    Posted: 05 June 2007 at 2:28am
We have a small stack of HD15's which are loaded with P Audio Challenger series (C15 LF) drivers.

Our 8 HD's are powered by a 6k FFA Amp run through a limiter and then a Void Digi-drive.

The problem I am having is that by the end of every night used there is at least one driver that has ripped. The rips start as creases along the outer rim of the driver that slowly work their way down the paper cone. We have 12 drivers bravely held together with yellow pages and araldite.

Is there anything I can do? Are Challenger series totally mismatched to HD's? Or perhaps there is a flaw with the driver that others have experienced? Or perhaps we have abused our speakers? Please anyone got any leads?

AdiRCF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdiRCF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2007 at 2:29pm
Do you have a high pass on you're system ?
Sughi Bughi
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2007 at 2:55pm
I'm guessing the cone is a little softer
if you look at the drawing for the HD15 you will see a cone shape wear the driver sits on the baffle (look at baffle 420), at the bottom of the cabinet the back wall is pretty close the the driver and at the top there's plenty of space
only the toughest of drivers will survive this ammount of pressure like the PD154 or 1550

if you are going to carry on using that driver I would suggest you put a piece of wood across the baflle at the bottom closest to the back wall of the cabinet to compensate for the amount of pressure differance between the top and the bottom

Tony used to do this on some of his cabs and Cerwin Vega did too
Hope this helps good luck

I can do a sketch for you if you dont understand?

Imagine your washing machine glass door is a baffle
and it's a third filled with water
the top half where there is no water would be the hollow opening of the baffle and the bottom where there's water would be your piece of wood to compensate for pressure
can you see where it says "baffle 420" ?

Edited by mykey - 09 June 2007 at 3:20pm
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2007 at 3:14am
which model p-audio???
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
Totem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2007 at 7:02pm
We have a similar set up but as yet (touch wood) we have had no problems.

Currently I'm using 8xHD15's loaded with Beyma 15G40's and they are driven by an FFA 6000

Although I would have prefered the 154's they actually sound pretty nice and they were the only drivers that I could source quickly at the short notice we had.

Can anyone see any similar problems re: strength of the paper cone with these drivers in the HD's?

Like I say, no issues yet, but we've only used them about 4 or 5 times.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2007 at 2:57am
How much power is each driver getting?

I've found that with the 154's they don't actually sound any louder when putting more than RMS rating in, and they start to sound distinctly rougher, especially when asking them to play as a full bass bin.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2007 at 3:27pm
I've always found the same as Norty...  About 5-600W per box always seemed best...
"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."
soundsystemdan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsystemdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2007 at 3:57pm
I sometimes run them (cautiously) with 1000w, RCF L15G600 or something like that - but hpf at 75Hz.
Totem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2007 at 4:52pm
I assume you asking Abacus, Norty? Although, for the record, I'm putting between 500 & 650 w through mine.
Mike Severloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Severloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2007 at 1:47pm
After using Beyma 15G450/N drivers in my short-cut Martin 115 bins successfully for a while I recon they could be _the kick_ in HD15s ...
Mike Severloh.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2007 at 2:55pm
More than 600W each and mine start to get honky at 50Hz HPF
jamie1107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie1107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2008 at 4:30pm
thats an odd problem we used challenger 15 600 els 16 of them infact never popped one are the holes in the mounting plate the right size and the edges rounded just wondering if they are catiching an edge on excursion and ripping the cones of all the drivers
 we tested eminence pd beyma rcf the challenger performed best and just would not give up power wise they were run from an ev p3000s  in batches of 2 per channel on a very well managed system but no problems at all Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>