Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD15's or HD215's for midbass cabs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD15's or HD215's for midbass cabs?
    Posted: 24 March 2007 at 3:10pm
Hi first time poster here. My name is Kevin, I'm from San Jose CA and I'm a small time weekend warrior building a medium size rig for dj use (no live musicians). I am interested in the HD15 or HD215 horn as a possible solution for a midbass cab. Good strong midbass in the 100-200hz range is my highest priority at the moment.

Is this design a good choice as a cab dedicated solely to the 100-200hz range?

I already have everything under 100hz covered by 6 Kappalite 3015LF loaded 24" wide Tuba 36 subs and will be adding 2 more for a total of 8 subs in the next 6 months. These will be powered by QSC PLX3602's and all processing will be handled by my DBX Driverack 260.

I am looking at 2 options to cover 100hz and up right now:

1. 4 HD15 (or 2 HD215) horns to cover 100-200hz topped with 4 EV QRx112/75 single 12 tops to handle 200hz and up. all would be powered off two seperate PLX3602's.

or

2. 4 EV QRx 212/75 dual12 tops covering everything from 100hz all the way up and powered off of 2 PLX 3602's.

Which would be the better option?
Download my latest mixes
www.musicv2.com/artist/kevinjames
New mix added 3/14/07
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2007 at 7:56pm
HD15s are great for upper bass but they dont sound great upto 200Hz,  upper cutoff is best arround 160-180 max.  You dont really want to let any vocals though them, 200Hz might be alright if you only play dance music though.  

Im not familier with those EV cabs but you should get more kick with 4 HDs rarther than an extra 4 reflex 12s, personly id go with the HDs.  
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2007 at 9:50pm
Yeah, HD15's will do what you want. Run them more like 70-160Hz, single or dual 12" tops will be fine from there up.  Obviously you can adjust the crossover points once you're up and running to get the best balance.

SmokeyJoe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 6:04pm
I realise that the HD15 may not sound too good up high due to the nature of the cab, but:

I want to build this system over the summer - me and a mate are doing it together and money is taken care of...

4 X SuperScoopers loaded with either PD186 or Void V18-1000
2 X HD215s loaded with either PD156 or PD1550
2 X Long-throw 10"/1" Mid/Hi's of this design...

Will the HD215's meet the Mid/Hi cabs ok?? I am guessing a crossover point of about 190Hz is ok?

Also, the system is intended to play old skool speed garage/drum n' bass/grime/breaks/dub/anything danceable really but nothing live - how's it going to sound outdoors with 4000w through the scoops and about 3400w through the 215's??

Can i expect chest thumping and body rattleing basslines?? I hope so...

Thanks, Joe.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 6:45pm
It will work, but as you suspect the HD15's might start sounding a bit rough at the top end of their range.  Certainly wouldn't use it for live.  Something straighter for the mid-bass might be better or even a non-hornloaded 15" or two, especially as the 10" will probably want to be crossed over more like 200-250Hz.  It's a very short horn.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2007 at 7:32pm
Quote 2 X HD215s loaded with either PD156 or PD1550

What is it with people steadfastly refusing to use the recommended drivers...?

Especially as the 1550 is a lot more expensive than the 154.  Or do you have the drivers already?
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2007 at 8:10am
ive noticed alot of mention of pd1550 in a hd15. ive only heard of one person actualy doing it, and they changed to pd154 not long after as the 1550 seemed to do weird things, by weird i never heard but im guessing he meant bottoming out.....
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
C-Audiofreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2015 at 9:51pm
Has anybody ever tried using hd15's for kick section in a live rig? I've had people ask me if they can be used for dance and live music and I always tell them they are not meant for live sound but I can never tell them why any reason? I only tell them no because that seems to be the general view on the matter
geoSal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoSal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2015 at 11:17pm
I've been using them for live gigs for years.It all depends what you have above them.Lots of people claim that you shouldn't let vocals come out of them but I disagree.I use them 75-160hz for kick section and everything sounds great.The usual honky sound from them exists but I dont find it annoying , unless you are used to line array's sound which in my opinion those kick frequencies are missing if you dont have enough units per side.
Kick drum,bass and guitars sound fast and accurate.Vocals may need some hard equalizing from 100hz and up,especially if you have people standing in front and close of the speakers.
Hd 's prosuce a rather flat response if loaded and tuned correctly so I dont see any reason why they
cant be used for live music.All pa speakers have have colored sound and hd's have their own.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2015 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

What is it with people steadfastly refusing to use the recommended drivers...?

I've said before that Eminence Omegas absolutely hammer it out in these cabs, the recommended Kappas just don't compare, I've tried both and a Kappa compared to an Omega sounds gutless, I've not tried any PD drivers in the HDs because after loading mine with Omegas they did everything I needed them to do.
C-Audiofreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Audiofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2015 at 11:55pm
I've since found megaton em15 looks simple and folk are saying they wipe the floor with HD15's think I may build those for my kick section and load them with some P.Audio 15's
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2015 at 8:27am
Originally posted by C-Audiofreak C-Audiofreak wrote:

I've since found megaton em15 looks simple and folk are saying they wipe the floor with HD15's think I may build those for my kick section and load them with some P.Audio 15's

They are bigger cabs so they should have a little more output because of the bigger horn mouth.
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>