Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hd15’s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 8:43pm
even a block of 6 hd15s wont do much below 50hz without running into issues/destruction or honky tonk sound above 130ish hz depending on drivers sooner or later.. specially with just one mt122 above i cant see that config covering neither a crowd nor a usefull bandwith properly :(

Msnell83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Msnell83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 8:48pm
Thanks for all the advice some great comments, feel like I might be biting off a bit more than i can chew here! I've been googling my tits off for the last few days. What I'm thinking is maybe take a 12" and the 2 " driver from the mt122 and make a mt121 and then couple that with one 15" horn nicked from the hd15 for the sub to make something a bit more realistic! Or maybe an 18" would match the tops better or is that still overkill? My problem is that I don't know exactly what these cabs sound like, I just know what The End or Plastic People etc used to sound like or Corsica now.
Msnell83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Msnell83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 8:49pm
And I'd be playing D&B Techno garage maybe some reggae or classic dancehall, basically we're south london boys we like the bass
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 8:55pm
a typical 18" sub wont meet mt121/122s happily..! full stop

what you should keep in mind is stacking height/issues aswell..! you wouldnt want mid of the 12" section lower than say 2m ideally in small venues, ideally even a bit higher and if hornloaded ideally at least 2m away from first row aswell..
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 2:00pm
A good 15" driver in a well tuned reflex box might be the most versatile, under a 12" reflex mid section and 1.4" compression driver.

Build 3 double 15's and you'll have oodles of power, wide bandwidth and good stack height for the tops

Don't look at what big rooms like The End, etc had, they have a big room system, for a bit room.

Lots of the same thing is often a much more satisfying listening experience than a few bits of lots of things. A 3 way system might be your best option for sound and simplicity
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Msnell83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Msnell83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 10:29pm
Bass en mass we would mostly be outside as we’ve got a little bit of land to use away from prying ears so the 2m distance isn’t a problem but the height thing would probs be an issue. Either way I see what your saying about the mt122 being a bit much. Maybe a double 18” would just about match a Mt121? Norty what your suggesting sounds like it would be more harmonious and a lot easier to set up, I’m guessing it’s more important to match cabinet types up and then play with different models of cabs to taste than get hung up on having a hd15 with an Mt121 for example
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 11:09pm
most common/typical 18"s simply wont meet an mt121/mt130 type of hornloaded Top happily..
(bass running up to 160ish hz simply wont sound great due to heavy cones and intermodulation distortion imo.. even most commonly used dedicated Sub 15" drivers wont really do great up high)

as Norty mentioned reflex loaded tops could be crossed lower hence match usual 1way reflex/horn Sub/Bass cabs better..
Msnell83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Msnell83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2017 at 5:28am
Ahh ok so it’s the horn cab design not the size of the drivers that is making the mt122’s a mis match? Just out of interest what kind of low end does match the mt122? It’s looking like it’s gonna get butchered now but I’m just curious!
Msnell83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Msnell83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2017 at 5:34am
Also I thought the hd15’s were to handle the frequency range between the sub and 180Hz, although now I’m writing this down it seems like trying to crossover those low frequencies is gonna be a b*****d to do without making it sound in natural!
Msnell83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Msnell83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2017 at 5:36am
Basically all my knowledge of sound comes from production and not live sound engineering so this is a bit of a learning curve for me!
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2017 at 4:59pm
I've had a block of 6 HD's under MT112 and its an impressive system, and will go lower than some here might suggest in those numbers.
I crossed between the 2 at around 120hz and you don't really want to go much above that as the HDs can start to sound a bit odd (honk is what some people call it) depending on the driver used (I had PD154)

However, the reflex box is just more versatile, could be used in singles for bar jobs or smaller rooms, etc and a good 12" reflex loaded mid is going to still be quite loud.
The MT mid section is quite deep compared to the HD, you'll have an overhang, and the time alignment will be more complex. I had the 12" section separate from the tops, and its still quite a big box. That's the nature of horns.

Opus Jody on here runs a big blue system based on 2x15" bass bins (Wheelie Bins) under tops with 2x10" mids. He has some 24" reflex boxes that he uses sometimes but it certainly isn't lacking in bottom end, and I've heard a good range of music played on it over the years.

My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2017 at 8:54pm
For your system i would suggest 2 x gsubs to Cover 35/80hz, the hd15 from 80 to 160 and then the 2 mt121. That would work for all types of music and even if It sounds a bit overkill for 100ppl,who listen that sort of stuff would love to hear It loud!
I agree with dispersion issues using just one mt122
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>