Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD215 MOD to fit Martin Audio 115

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD215 MOD to fit Martin Audio 115
    Posted: 25 March 2016 at 12:53pm
Hello to all fellow speaker enthusiasts!

I have just acquired a pair of Martin Audio 115 cabs and would like to find a mid-bass cab to go on top that would work well with the flared design of the Martins (see below).

I really like the look of this 3 face HD215 and think it will look awesome on top of the Martin 115s.

I was thinking about bringing the top and upper 'lip' of the speaker out by 10.5cm to line up with the edge of the Martins so it all fits together nicely, something like this.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to whether it would be alright to simply go ahead with this or should I think about adjusting the curve slightly (moving it towards the mouth a little...) To be honest by the looks of it, it will just give the horn a little extra length which can't be a bad thing.

Going to look ace with the martin 115s, HD215s and simplified mt121s - all flared!

Many thanks for your replies and interest,

Thomas.
Twiggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 12:59pm
The 115 and the HD both play the same freq band, just pick one or the other.
space141 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 1:03pm
Wouldn't it be possible to use the Martin 115s from 40-90Hz and crossover to the HD215s from 90-180Hz?

Otherwise have you got a suggestion for a design which has a similar design that would be suitable for sub-bass duties with 18" drivers...?

Thanks.
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 1:28pm
Martin 115's will cover from 40-180 no issues. Will actually play better than the HD-15 at 140hz+, HD is quite honkey if you play it too high.

If you want to go 2 way bass I would look at getting 4 scoops or large folded horns to run from 30-75 and use the martins above that but tbh I would just go for more of the same, its only gets better the more you add, 6 x 115's is great.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
smithshorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithshorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 1:42pm
Don't know if there is much difference between the two cabinets, but do you have the Martin 115's, or the Fane long throw cabinets, as the plans you have posted are for the Fane.
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by space141 space141 wrote:

Hello to all fellow speaker enthusiasts!

I have just acquired a pair of Martin Audio 115 cabs and would like to find a mid-bass cab to go on top that would work well with the flared design of the Martins (see below).

Those above are not Martin 115, but I think the illustration above came out of a Fane handbook and there was also a similar looking dual 12" low-mid/mid design to match.
But anyway it's very similar to 115 and whatever you have there, they will most likely perform good both lower and higher than HD15. So why complicate things with extra crossover/amps/tuning and not just build an extra pair of what you have ? More of the same will make 'em drop a bit lower too.
space141 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 1:55pm
Must be the Fane Long throw then but could only find that one image online as mine is much shorter at the back and has a bigger flare than the Martin 115 (as shown in the plan in the first post) just wasn't sure which model it was.

I would like to avoid anything scoop-like as I much prefer the look of the concealed drivers with the flared design. Would it really be such a bad idea to have 2-way bass as I really like the look of the 215's and have a pair of PD154s lying around. Surely I still need kick bass bins above the Fane Long throws or can they deliver 40-180Hz whilst still giving a decent kick sound...?

Also they will be loaded with RCF L15P200AK drivers (800W RMS, 1600 Peak). I do have another pair of RCF L15 554k drivers (600W RMS, 1200 Peak) - perhaps I'd be best building another pair of Martin Audio 115's as I can't find the plans for the Fane version apart from that very bad image at the top of this post.

Thank you all for your advice,

Thomas

Edited by space141 - 25 March 2016 at 1:57pm
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 2:17pm

Must be the Fane Long throw then but could only find that one image online as mine is much shorter at the back and has a bigger flare than the Martin 115 (as shown in the plan in the first post) just wasn't sure which model it was.

How about a few pictures and measures ? Pictures of the insides, how speaker is mounted, etc...
As I understand at this point, we don't know what we're talking about. Could be a horn design as well as a bandpass design. All are speakers in wooden cabinets, but respons could be totally different.

I would like to avoid anything scoop-like as I much prefer the look of the concealed drivers with the flared design. Would it really be such a bad idea to have 2-way bass as I really like the look of the 215's and have a pair of PD154s lying around. Surely I still need kick bass bins above the Fane Long throws or can they deliver 40-180Hz whilst still giving a decent kick sound...?

If they are what we assume, they will work very well even beyond 180 Hz.

Also they will be loaded with RCF L15P200AK drivers (800W RMS, 1600 Peak). I do have another pair of RCF L15 554k drivers (600W RMS, 1200 Peak) - perhaps I'd be best building another pair of Martin Audio 115's as I can't find the plans for the Fane version apart from that very bad image at the top of this post.

I'm sure someone over here has still has that Fane book available, but let's first see what all ingredients are (the cabs on hand to begin with).

space141 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 2:37pm
Just checked measurements and they are definitely the Fane Long Throw design as shown below:

With the same dimensions 1118mm wide at front, 660 at rear, 946 length & 468 height.

Could anyone help me find a better resolution image of the original plans from the Fane Handbook that some people have mentioned? Would be great to make another pair to match!

Cheers.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 3:58pm
About 30 seconds with google finds this.....

DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 4:02pm
Also, if you want to model it (which you should do to check which modern drivers work well in it), check post 8 on this page....
space141 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote space141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 4:44pm
That's brilliant! What did you search for? Any idea what model this is...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>