Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD215 PLAN CAD DRAWING + BUILD PICS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2006 at 6:28pm
I would like to hear a HD215 and see how it compares to the  existing Martin /ASS  215 cabinets,..what price do u reckon it works out per box to build Heathrow,asuming each box has 2x pd,etc...im guessing,with timber,fittings,drivers,paints,etc,must come out at around £450 per box?.
Be seeing you.
Heathrow_B_line View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2006 at 7:08pm
wood 1.75 sheets of 8x4 birch - £62
4 big handles - £16
4 100mm castors - £20
pack or 100 m6 t-nuts - £3
m6 60mm bolts - £5
nails for nail gun - £8
glue - £3.5
paint - unknown
2 pd 154 - £200
4 corners - £2

= £320

cant say anything about paint cos i havent ordered any yet...

it would take one weekend to make 4 hd215's if everything was set up...

my big mistake was not getting everything cut at b and q... if u trust the guy or slip him a tip i think they can cut it much better and quicker then most of us could.  make the 5 sectional bit using one 600mm jig.

id also add money in there for a grill..

if you intend to make more then 4 at one go id say forget about rebating things etc unless u use some sort or cnc

a good nail gun seems worth the cost too.

b and q birch ply is sh*t... its got loads of voids in it plus the guy at the shp thinks only the first couple of laminates r bich.  who knows!

havent added speakons to the cost either as im still undecided on model.

Edited by Heathrow_B_line - 29 August 2006 at 7:15pm
Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2006 at 7:22pm
im sure the next 4 i build will be built much quicker... as i will plan things better and not create extra work for myself as ive done up to this point...but hey it keeps me out of trouble i suppose.

i just wanna add that i spent money on tools etc as well...if i was starting out again id seriously consider finding a cheap cnc place or cabinet maker as it probably would have worked out cheaper... but the feeling of ownership u get when u build ur own things is abit like having kids...u get attached to them as u know how much hassle went into making them. 

also i think we cabs the more u build at once the better as things get cheaper...  i think 4 is a nice number to attempt.
Charles_V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles_V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2006 at 5:04am
Quote b and q birch ply is sh*t... its got loads of voids in it plus the guy at the shp thinks only the first couple of laminates r bich.  who knows!

probably "birch faced" ply..

Edited by |carlos| - 30 August 2006 at 5:06am
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2006 at 7:18am
 If u can get them completed for around £350 Heathrow,thats a brilliant figure,i know that doesnt include time and effort,but the nearest pro.built "named" cabinet  would be at least £1200,and the Martin or ASS considerably more (double that).
 I would love a listen to the finished 215 cabinet,i have heard single hd15s,but the twin version is allways going to excel,and a stack of 2 hd215 per side gives you a 4ft x 4ft approx mouth.
Be seeing you.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2006 at 10:53am
thats why diy cabs are great...  i wanted to get someone else to build them at first but for 8 hd215s you will save alot of money building it yourself
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2006 at 4:31pm
has anyone heard both the pd154 and pd 156 in a hd15?  i cant decide on which one to get....  id use them in group of 4 cabs minium and 8 cabs maximum.

any advice?
rinse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rinse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2006 at 6:35pm
Which handles did you use and where did you get them from?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2006 at 10:44am
black bar handled ones, from pap
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2006 at 2:18pm
ive finally used my table mounted router in anger and have finally knocked up the box bit of the cab...  took some pics when i was offering the panels up to check they all fit, which they do thankfully!

all the panels....

dado channels

no glue or screws... only the ribbon clamps holding it together... still quiet strong though

i still think making 4 in a batch will save me time evem though it doesnt seem like it at the moment!  i think next i'm gonna try and work on the curve and baffle sections or maybe route out all the handle cut outs

Edited by Heathrow_B_line - 02 September 2006 at 2:22pm
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2006 at 12:52am
Originally posted by Heathrow_B_line Heathrow_B_line wrote:

wood 1.75 sheets of 8x4 birch - £62
4 big handles - £16
4 100mm castors - £20
pack or 100 m6 t-nuts - £3
m6 60mm bolts - £5
nails for nail gun - £8
glue - £3.5
paint - unknown
2 pd 154 - £200
4 corners - £2

= £320

cant say anything about paint cos i havent ordered any yet...

it would take one weekend to make 4 hd215's if everything was set up...

my big mistake was not getting everything cut at b and q... if u trust the guy or slip him a tip i think they can cut it much better and quicker then most of us could.  make the 5 sectional bit using one 600mm jig.

id also add money in there for a grill..

if you intend to make more then 4 at one go id say forget about rebating things etc unless u use some sort or cnc

a good nail gun seems worth the cost too.

b and q birch ply is sh*t... its got loads of voids in it plus the guy at the shp thinks only the first couple of laminates r bich.  who knows!

havent added speakons to the cost either as im still undecided on model.

2 PD154 for £200. Nice price you got them for. They are about £124 inc vat each normally.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2006 at 5:20pm
cut 50 mitred sections for the curve on staurday and now have started glueing them together....  its a shame i only have 8 variable angle clamps as it means i have to make 4 curves at a time.

my plan is to glue 2 sections together then add another and another until i have the full 5 pieces.

Edited by Heathrow_B_line - 11 September 2006 at 5:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>