Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - HELP! article comparing UK plugs non regulation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP! article comparing UK plugs non regulation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchiemasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP! article comparing UK plugs non regulation
    Posted: 07 January 2019 at 5:20pm
I'm looking for an old article that compared all the plugs that can be bundled with various appliances. It highlighted which ones to watch out for that aren't up to UK regulations. I can't remember which forum initially had the link. Thank you.
Danielr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2019 at 5:26pm
bs1363.org.uk
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2019 at 6:48pm
All of those are nasty, but the real bad boy is the one that looks like a 5A round pin plug in size, and doesn't even feature a fuse. With 0.75m^2 off a 32A ring main, what could possibly go wrong

I have seen a lot of those specific fails, shipped with berry stuff! Or at least stuff claiming to be berry, probably also berry knock offs, so why not power lead knock offs to match. Or Grey imports, and someone chucked in a "UK" lead-set as cheap as possible.

Fooking Shocking - be careful out there!
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2019 at 7:18pm
Came across one pre moulded iec to 13 amp that was made out of conductive plastic.
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2019 at 8:14pm
Thanks for that link, I've got a few examples from that rogues gallery!

Originally posted by MattStolton MattStolton wrote:

All of those are nasty, but the real bad boy is the one that looks like a 5A round pin plug in size, and doesn't even feature a fuse. With 0.75m^2 off a 32A ring main, what could possibly go wrong
BS546, published 1934, latest edition 1950.

Many many moons ago I lived in a very old building with lots of boys from all over the world.  We ONLY had those 5A sockets, at least in the accommodation. Some kids worked out their foreign electrical kit worked if they jammed them in to the holes, fair enough.  Except the chinese kid who used a live and earth to make the circuit...

His rice boiler worked fine, but anything on the landing that wasn't double insulated gave a jolt. 
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2019 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Danielr Danielr wrote:

bs1363.org.uk

I buy too much crap off the bay, I now need to buy a load of new plugs, not off the bay! Wink
Interesting reading, thank you 
mitchiemasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchiemasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2019 at 5:15pm
That's the one. Thank you. I have a few managers I need to send this too. Some of those non fused plugs on site.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2019 at 9:22am
Those non fused ones are fine - they save space cos they are less bulky. There is a fuse upstream so you'll be fine ;)
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2019 at 10:32am
Originally posted by freddymendez freddymendez wrote:

Those non fused ones are fine - they save space cos they are less bulky. There is a fuse upstream so you'll be fine ;)

Typically 32A B Curve! 16A B Curve if your lucky.

Commercially, the odd C curve may slip in; still feel confident in that bit of 0.75^2 h05 not smouldering.

I presume someone out east looked at the Euro Schuko, fuseless, and just assumed the UK plug would be the same, just different pins, and didn't bother reading BS1363. But Euro Schuko outlets are normally on 16A (or smaller) radial circuits.

A standard can cost £100+ to download, and then be a few hundred pages to read, in a foreign/"2nd to native" language too, perhaps. I can understand "how", but can't forgive.

Some of the other fails are equally bad, but the whole intrinsic safety feature of 32A ring mains, is the fused plug to appliance. The 32A breaker protects the ring's cable, not the appliance, the plug's fuse protects the leadset and appliance from fire.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2019 at 11:17am
Do not follow my advice here previously please it wasn't an attempt at being serious!!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2019 at 11:21am
Originally posted by freddymendez freddymendez wrote:

Do not follow my advice here previously please it wasn't an attempt at being serious!!
Just use orange text, to clarify your sarcasm, and the forum can keep churning out its knowledge in complete safety!    
 Post Reply Post Reply