Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help designing a Synergy horn please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abe The Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help designing a Synergy horn please
    Posted: 23 January 2013 at 1:47am
I'm looking to build a pair of 60 degree by 60 degree synergy horns something like the sh60 for live sound gigs, they will always be used with subs so they don't need the same low freq extension but I would like them to have a similar output and they need to sound good for vocals and acoustic instruments along with rock bands. 
I'm still a beginner on designing speakers, so if I could get a bit of advise (or a lot of advise) I'd be very grateful. I've started reading up on synergy horn builds over the last while and I've been reading a few books on speaker designing but I still have a lot to learn especially seeing as I keep reading people saying that synergy horns require a lot of complicated maths etc. What exactly do I need to know in order to build a good synergy horn? Is there any recommended reading? I have a cabinet maker who is willing to do a lot of the work for free and let me use his tools for the rest, which is lucky.

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2013 at 2:22pm
I hope that you are aware that the unity horns dont actually have more output then some reflex designs.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Abe The Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abe The Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2013 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

I hope that you are aware that the unity horns dont actually have more output then some reflex designs.

I am. My main reason for choosing synergy horns is I do a lot of gigs in hotel function rooms and auditorium where the reverb times are too high doing sound for groups like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBhTa013z_U I need speakers with controlled dispersion due to this but I also want to use the speakers in moderate sized clubs. I'm currently doing these gigs with Martin F12+'s and S15's but they are at their limit, I'd be more happy with the output of a sh60.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2013 at 5:14pm
i shall watch this with interest. good stuff.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2013 at 5:46pm
Making the box is not too difficult, there are lot of pictures and experiments on the internet to get you started.
The HF driver Danley uses in the SH60 is BMS4550, 12 inches are Faital pro. So you need to see what you can find as a mid driver.

Edited by MarjanM - 23 January 2013 at 5:50pm
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
loonie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2013 at 8:26pm
Jeez, that cab looks insane!!

Is there anywhere I can read up these unity horns? I knew Davey T was doing some bits and bobs and BFM has some designs out.

But I'm wanting to get my head around the theory of them.

Thanks in advance!
Team DB
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2013 at 8:47pm
Google is your friend
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2013 at 12:54am

No!!!! That can't be true surely???Shocked
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2013 at 1:10am
Well go to Danley spec and you will see that it has 100db sensitivity. 
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2013 at 1:38am

Making the box is not too difficult, there are lot of pictures and experiments on the internet to get you started.
The HF driver Danley uses in the SH60 is BMS4550, 12 inches are Faital pro. So you need to see what you can find as a mid driver.

why's this cab got holes in the cabinet? isn't the internal volume needed to link the rear of the driver to the ports into the horn?
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2013 at 1:40am
It is a show exhibit box. But reveals a lot of internals.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
Abe The Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abe The Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2013 at 1:49am
the speaker does look nuts. I think I just need to get designing and hopefully you guys point out the flaws in what I'm doing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>