Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help developing Hornresp parameters from plan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help developing Hornresp parameters from plan
    Posted: 22 November 2019 at 2:16pm
Hi Guys

I'm playing around with the idea of putting a 'penis extension' (working title) on my Punishers, something  similar to the X-Horn void developed for the Stasys X v2. Before I can do anything, I need accurate input parameters for hornresp.

I have never been satisfied with the ones posted elsewhere in this forum, they don't seem to produce sensitivity/frequency response numbers that align with my own measurements of my Punishers. I created my own inputs using a sketchup drawing of a punisher and a guide on another forum.

While I thought I did a good job, the frequency response numbers are not close to what I would expect, the sim is showing a block of 4 punishers to roll off at 50hz, the real number is around 40hz. I know this is a model and not an exact representation of real life but it just seems way off.

As you can see, the frequency response for 4 punishers seems way off, it is also 3dB less sensitive as I would expect. 1 punisher = 102dB @ 2.83v @ 1M, 2 = 105dB, 4 = 108dB

I modeled the horn as an 'off set driver horn' as that is what a Punisher is. The driver fires in to the horn slightly after the horn path actually begins.

I chose to split the punisher in to two sections the initial section being conical and just covering the the short distance before the first fold, the part the driver fires in to. This was split in to two segments as the offset driver entry point in hornresp is the beginning of S2 and this is the only way I know to set the location of driver entry in an OD horn.

The second section is exponential, beginning at the start of the first fold and finishing at the mouth of the horn. All measurements were taken from a sketchup drawing I know to be accurate, iv built 12 cabs from the drawing.

Horn length was calculated by creating a point in the center of each 90degree fold/the center of the mouth and adding up the distance between the points.

Vrc is the volume of the rear chamber with the driver and bracing compensated for.
Lrc is the distance from the baffle to the back of the chamber.
Vtc is the volume of the cutout for the driver, does the punisher really have a throat? should I be adding some volume to compensate for the conical part of the cone?
Atc is the area of the driver cutout.

I would really appreciate it if someone could go through my reasoning/method and give feedback/advice. Learning hornresp seems like a really useful skill and you know how the saying goes, the one about teaching a man to fish.
Thanks
Hugh

Edited by citizensc - 22 November 2019 at 2:20pm
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2019 at 3:25pm
Quote I modeled the horn as an 'off set driver horn' as that is what a Punisher is
Strictly speaking it is but that doesn't guarantee that the HR offset model will be the best fit. IIRC when modelling Cubo Kick I found that the off set model in HR best predicted the low frequency corner while the standard entry front loaded horn gave the best prediction of the overall frequency response and sensitivity. Typically for a standard entry front loaded horn, the first horn segment is added to the Vtc and the horn length starts at the middle of the driver, this will also give you one extra segment to play with.

I would look for the best fitting model and even that might be different from measurements. It's unlikely you've measured in a perfect 2,0 pi environment, T/S parameters probably deviated from the average you've used to simulate, etc.

Looking at the sudden jump in flare rate the horn makes at about 30 cm away from the horn mouth a single exponential segment isn't the most accurate description

IIRC earlier versions of HR gave 3 dB for a doubling of cabinets. If you think about that would mean 16 cabinets would become more then 100 percent efficient, so less and less then 3 dB per doubling of cabinets actually makes sense. Plus at some point the distance between cabinets would simply become to large to fall within / wavelength for a given frequency.

Hope that helps.

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2019 at 4:29pm
For what it’s worth, for a horn extension like that to be worthwhile it needs to be large. Very large compared to say two punishers. The gain is from directivity improvements, and for the X Horn, is about 3-5dB overall. It doesn’t really extend the low corner by more than 3-5Hz either, even in a block of four subs with four horns. It does reduce distortion of course, and flattens the overall ‘rising response’ toward the upper bass region so ‘feels’ deeper.
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2019 at 7:45pm
Probably worth hopping onto the hornresponse thread on diyaudio forum, David the author of hornresponse is very helpful and I'm sure he would like to see modeled versus measured results.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2019 at 11:55pm
the funktion one guys over here made one for 8 f121s. it's really big, steel box section and birch ply construction with a load of steel wires in for bracing.. was loud though..

citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2019 at 1:06am
Originally posted by mobiele eenheid mobiele eenheid wrote:

Quote I modeled the horn as an 'off set driver horn' as that is what a Punisher is
Strictly speaking it is but that doesn't guarantee that the HR offset model will be the best fit. IIRC when modelling Cubo Kick I found that the off set model in HR best predicted the low frequency corner while the standard entry front loaded horn gave the best prediction of the overall frequency response and sensitivity. Typically for a standard entry front loaded horn, the first horn segment is added to the Vtc and the horn length starts at the middle of the driver, this will also give you one extra segment to play with.

I would look for the best fitting model and even that might be different from measurements. It's unlikely you've measured in a perfect 2,0 pi environment, T/S parameters probably deviated from the average you've used to simulate, etc.

Looking at the sudden jump in flare rate the horn makes at about 30 cm away from the horn mouth a single exponential segment isn't the most accurate description

IIRC earlier versions of HR gave 3 dB for a doubling of cabinets. If you think about that would mean 16 cabinets would become more then 100 percent efficient, so less and less then 3 dB per doubling of cabinets actually makes sense. Plus at some point the distance between cabinets would simply become to large to fall within / wavelength for a given frequency.

Hope that helps.

Just tried exactly what you suggested here, removed L12 and added it to the Vtc, split L34 in to two sections in order to separate the section with the high flare rate from the rest of the horn.

I'm very surprised at how little difference this made.

Grey is the old sim, black is the sim with the new changes.

Edited by citizensc - 23 November 2019 at 1:07am
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2019 at 1:17am

I got these measurements from our SS15s quite a while ago. Single, double stacked and double stacked with doors.

Pretty much follows what Kyle said. Main thing is the directivity. And if you are building them ..LOTS of bracing !

You can see our take on extensions over in the 12v section on here...

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2019 at 1:26am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

For what it’s worth, for a horn extension like that to be worthwhile it needs to be large. Very large compared to say two punishers. The gain is from directivity improvements, and for the X Horn, is about 3-5dB overall. It doesn’t really extend the low corner by more than 3-5Hz either, even in a block of four subs with four horns. It does reduce distortion of course, and flattens the overall ‘rising response’ toward the upper bass region so ‘feels’ deeper.

I dont really have much knowledge about whats going on inside a stasys X, but it appears to be a ported horn, as i'm sure you are aware, the punisher is a FLH. How comparable is the stasys X to the Punisher when it comes to attaching a horn extension?

3-5dB sounds pretty meaningful, we run 2 blocks of 6 punishers for bigger shows, to get 3-5db of improvement, would we not need to double that therefor double our amps?

3-5hz extension also sounds very useful, the difference between 40hz and 35-37 seems like a big deal. That could get punishers in too the realm of sub bass.

+ the benefits of reducing noise on stage, flattening out response and reducing distortion, this sounds like it could be quite useful.

Originally posted by fatfreddiescat fatfreddiescat wrote:

Probably worth hopping onto the hornresponse thread on diyaudio forum, David the author of hornresponse is very helpful and I'm sure he would like to see modeled versus measured results.

I'm going to do that now, thanks for the advice!

Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

the funktion one guys over here made one for 8 f121s. it's really big, steel box section and birch ply construction with a load of steel wires in for bracing.. was loud though..

I dont think we are going to take it to that extreme ahahaha, what im picturing now is an extension of 500mm horn length and 975mm width at the mouth up from 560mm on the standard Punisher. The total width of the extension would be ~2m and the length would be 500mm, each component would fit on the mouth of two punishers.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2019 at 6:20am
Oh don’t get me wrong, the results were awesome.

Unfortunately, in that case, by the time the horn was sized to be acoustically useful it was no longer practically useful in my opinion. I looked at taking 8 of the horn extensions to Croatia, but the truck space consumed for the horn extensions was essentially a whole small stage worth of production.

If you’re going to explore it, then I would strongly suggest making it modular so you can transport flat pack and assemble when needed. As Phil says, it needs to be REALLY rigid and well braced, so you might need to apply some ingenuity to that.

The main thing i found was to follow the existing horn expansion, or at least maintain the rate of change.

The benefit of horn extensions is proven. You just have to be aware that you’re adding a lot more mass and fiddliness on a job. Sometimes, the efficiency increase is outweighed by the amount of work, storage and transportation to make it happen. Many people would rather have the extra boxes, as they can earn money solo, hence the focus on bass arrays and time smearing instead of designing a directional horn.

citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2019 at 12:17pm
After experimenting in hornresp with every attribute of the horn, (length, mouth area, chamber sizes), I could not get it to produce a response close to what im looking for with out drastically changing the values.

I started to suspect it may be an issue with the TS parameters Ciare has provided. As a sanity check, I simmed a couple of other drivers just to see what would happen.

Black is the 12.00sw, grey is the P.Audio SD12
Black is the 12.00sw, grey is the Beyma 12LX60v2

The beyma actually looks pretty close to the descriptions iv read of how well it works in a punisher. The SD12 is just better than the 12.00sw everywhere by a significant margin. The 12.00sw is supposed to be the king of drivers in the punisher so I suspect the TS parameters on the Ciare website are not accurate.

Do you guys think this is a likely conclusion? What should I do? Pull a driver out and measure it?

Edit, seems the information on the interweb is inconsistent about the 12.00sw ts parameters - http://www.loudspeakerdatabase.com/Ciare/12.00SW#8%CE%A9 This website gives an Fs of 30hz which is significantly different to the ciare website. 

Edited by citizensc - 23 November 2019 at 12:47pm
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2019 at 12:47pm
if you click on the parameter boxes in hornresp you can get hornresp to calculate them from the T/S parameters. often the moving mass is wrong because some people include the airload. or the SD is a nominal figure.
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2019 at 2:56pm
I'm with Toasty on the idea that any gain to be had in absolute spl, is down to improvement in directivity, i.e. the energy going side and behind is kept forwards, adding cumulatively to forward energy. Goes with the concept of "throw" actually having some sort of meaning.

Given the ball ache off working out how such a horn extension may work, more ball ache from constructing and transporting such a beast, wouldn't a simpler solution to just used an increased number of sub boxes to use line array theory to get more bass going forwards, rather than behind or sides? i.e. the length of your array of subs approaches the wavelength of the frequency your interested in.

Seems to be fashionable, not least for the directivity purposes of noise nuisance abatement. Surely if done right, you get the SPL benefit, as well as lower corner benefit? Equally for ease of deployment in field, just saying "stick these subs in a straight line, with a 1m gap between them" is easier than the plans to construct a wire tensioned steel horn mouth?

I doubt you will find a Punisher in EASE .gll files, but you could load in something similar, and just build virtual arrays to see what sort of length of array and spacing of array effects spl and frequency. EASE has got a sub array option when you load in your sub, but you may have more fun dropping in individual boxes and delaying and arraying to get a feel for messing about.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>