Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help/ideers for new compact tops!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobiazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help/ideers for new compact tops!
    Posted: 05 June 2010 at 11:08am
Hey I need to build some small tops, 4 pcs i think, i am on a budget så it is going to be a thigt call, but for now i have 4 horns (monacor MDH-172, 50w @ 1,8khz 12db) and now i need some bas/mid drivers to go wiht them, i was thinking 12" in ~ 45L reflex (easy to build 4 from 1 sheed 122x244)

But what driver wold you go for on a budget? I what to cros them at 2.5khz and at ~150hz down to my subs if i was goin real cheap i should just buy 4x http://www.thomann.de/dk/the_box_speaker_122808a.htm at 51euro its realy cheap. but what else is out there that i should look at?

(I have 4 subs, one Beyma G400 per/pcs in reflex)

Best regards Tobias

(sorry for bad english)
AndyWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 7:46pm
Hello

I think that you should consider investing more than 50eur, maybe something like 140-160eur per 12" driver. That kind of driver would be on par with your subs. Look at speakerstore.nl for starter, better pricing on some products (they are without VAT).

I remember MHD-172 giving acceptable quality with x/o near 2,2kHz / 18dB oct. So look for 12"drivers with light cones and non peaky top end.

my 2p

Andy
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 9:00am
Consider the Celestion TN1225  which has very smooth and extended range that makes it easy to integrate with a comp crossed at 2K.

I have used these with the Celestion H1-9040P horn and the BMS 4524 comps with great results. I have a design for the box if you are interested. Just PM me your Email address.

Tony

tobiazz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobiazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2010 at 1:57pm
Hmm i think ill go for a 2x15" insted, nearly the same price as some 12" and better low end out put. I think it should be the the FANE soverreing PRO 15 500, as it seems very nice and not too pricy at bluearan.co.uk. as i live in Denmark i can not finde a place that sell the FANE here.

The price for 4 pro 15 500 inc vat and shiping is 290£ i think that is a good price for what i get.

i do not know if they are ever seen in the used maked here? that way i could maby save a penny ?

Best Tobias
 Post Reply Post Reply