Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

help with designing kick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 4:47pm
Define 'this phenomena'.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 5:45pm
Indeed, looks like a fairly standard bunch of horn characteristics to me and broadly what you'd expect for that style of enclosure.
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 6:11pm
Hi, s2 seems still off, in your design the horn is restricted at that point, while the flare is straight, and as you are not accounting for volume inside cone of drivers in vtc, you should add it there, so it should grow bigger than straight flare there, not smaller..
In my mind kicks lives at 90 hz so you see from your  frequency response why i was doubtful.
totalAudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totalAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 6:12pm
sorry I forgot to post the pic

ive realised that this disappears with the correct filtering.
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 6:21pm
That cames from the offset driver, you have 20 cm from driver to startof horn, wave will start from driver bounce on start and go back to horn exit.
At lower frequencies waves are big so still sum. At 400 hz wave is long something like 80 cm, so when it meets the driver again after 40 cm of travel it has exactly half wavelength delay, so it is 180 degree outof phase with wave of same frequency and this means cancellation. 
A 100 hz wave  is 3.4 meters long so it will sum postively, it will cancel with 85 cm offset (happens often with speakers near walls)
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 6:21pm
Those nulls are where the horn path length is such that you get a reflecting wave from the mouth (or other feature) back to driver such that it is out of phase with the original cone movement. The original and reflected waves cancel each other out.
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 6:22pm
Try to sim same horn but nd confoguration , wihout offset and that dip will disappear.
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 6:26pm
This is a physical issue of the horn, actually something filters can't deal with.
If you put more 400hz in with eq it will cancel out sameway, as you increase power also in the cancelling wave.
You can only push it higher by putting cones as close as possible to start of the horn.
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 6:37pm
However Hornresp tends to over exaggerate those dips. 
keith192001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keith192001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2020 at 7:14am
Hey can you help me design a horn enclosure? I have no idea how to use hornresp, i have a Massive audio hippo xl 15'' @ 2000w rms sub, i want an enclosure like the one in the image below; 

Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2020 at 8:15am
Please start a New thread as this has nothing to do with the original post. 
Just had a quick glance, but with that high qts this is not a horn driver.
Sealed box is your best bet i Think, and easier to build.
Download winisd, very easy to use, and input the t/s parameters you find on manufacturer site to get an idea of what to Expect  and find out needed volume.
totalAudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totalAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2020 at 10:32am
Ok after a little bit of messing around (again) heres what I have:

Not sure where to go with my rear chamber volume or vtc/atc? and does it look reasonable so far? any help appreciated

Edited by totalAudio - 06 June 2020 at 10:35am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>