Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with replacement lamp fuse

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimkarl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with replacement lamp fuse
    Posted: 10 January 2018 at 12:17am
I have a pair of OHMS Walsh 3 cabinets where one of the fuse lamps has burned out. The problem is, I don't know the appropriate replacement value and the company is being tight lipped about revealing info to me. The pic is attached but I should describe the circuit. After an extensive crossover circuit with selectable cut's/boosts etc., the woofer is feed an audio signal that goes through a smaller (smaller in terms of the coil) festoon type fuse lamp, that is in parallel with a 14uf capacitor, then follows to another larger fuse lamp and then to the woofer (The two fuse lamps are in series). The first fuse is the one that is burnt out. This is also the same fuse size that is used on the audio that is fed to the tweeter FYI (though on that fuse there is not a parallel cap not another fuse in series. The cabinet is rated to 200 watts max RMS at 8 ohms.  Thoughts is what might be an appropriate replacement for that first fuse? Or even a good understanding as to why there is a parallel cap on it, outside the crossover network and why the two fuses are in series? The Manufacturer has not been helpful in this regard.  https://drive.google.com//d/1U-erUsB_cPLbtkUV0a1hX054LkY3vX5s/view?usp=sharing - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U-erUsB_cPLbtkUV0a1hX054LkY3vX5s/view?usp=sharing
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2018 at 12:52am
Looks like a 211-2 dome light, very common in speakers.

Do a search for BulbTown.com and look up 211-2 (do not click on this link).

Edited by _djk_ - 11 January 2018 at 1:06am
djk
jimkarl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimkarl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2018 at 3:43am
It does look like that, but the current rating on that one is lower then others I have found. The cabs are rated 200 watt, 8 ohms (both woofer and tweeter are 8 ohms each) If I did my math correct that yields roughly 40V (sqrt(200 watts x 8 ohms)) which yields 5 amps (watts/volts), at full power. 

Not clear if the second larger bulb really is a 5 amp one or not, or if both bulbs in series need to total to 5 amps. I've only found two bulbs of this type (festoon double ended) online of any substantial rating (parts express, amazon, ebay etc. One is clearly rated 12.8v 2.1a. The other is a Eminence PX:BULB which is a soldered pair. Can't find any specific rating info on that - it only states "provides smooth 3:1 analog compression during input overload conditions over 250 watts RMS" so i assume a Single bulb pulled off the pair does that to 125 watts. 
 Post Reply Post Reply