Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with sub designs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smurfy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with sub designs
    Posted: 22 June 2021 at 5:21pm
Hello all, I'm new here but been in sound systems and audio engineering for 30+ years.

I've recently emigrated, got rid of all my cabs, but brought my amps with me.

I am looking to build some new cabs, I have a workshop and a competent carpenter and have built many cabs over the years.

I want a compact rig, I have plans for the hinmids, low miss, kick cabs, mostly from the fane book, u know the old brown one, we all had it back in the day and I still have 2 of them lol..

I'm just real undecided on subs, I'd prefer to use 15" than 18" on the he subs, to keep compact as said above.

Can you recommend any designs.

Many thanks guys n girls
munkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 8:11pm
What music will you be playing? 
the midtops!
Smurfy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smurfy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 8:57pm
Everything really, live music mainly, but also prerecorded music ranging from rock, house music to reggae. 
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 11:31pm
Can very much recommend the Tham 15 for a musical all rounder. I know it’s not really a sub but I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by monkeypuzzle - 22 June 2021 at 11:33pm
blah blah blah blah blah......
Smurfy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smurfy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2021 at 5:06am
Are there any schematics for that?

Noud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2021 at 5:17am
I would like recommend the altcon 15
312liter, but plays lower then the tham 15.

Check out my topic for more infoWink
martinsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2021 at 6:02am
Tham15 meassured and compared to a DB 18" sub :

Plans for the THAM15 :

But there are alot of other really good diy designs for the 15" size category, some of which might suit you better, check out the keystone designs, the ss15 etc. before you commit to anyone, most of them can be found over at diyaudio.com

I currently run two ROAR15 loaded with 15sw115, twice the size of the tham15 and definitely more capable, character wise borderline evil in comparrison to be honest, but they are not field proven to the same extent as the tham15, at least not yet.

Edited by martinsson - 23 June 2021 at 6:08am
Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/
Smurfy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smurfy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2021 at 6:27am
Borderline evil.

Interesting.
I will have a look at lunch and be back to discuss.

Smurfy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smurfy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2021 at 10:21am
Hi, the Than designs are not that comprehensive, the Roar are alot better shown on the plans for detail of construction.

Anyone here using the good old fane folded horns?

As shown below.
These are a comprehensive schematic.

Any thoughts, I know these been about for years,, but I never used them, back in the day we just hammered out double 15" scoops and 18" scoop bins.

What's the concensus on these

I would add the pic but cant see howbtonattachbangioe so here is u URL.

https://live.staticflickr.com/1491/23917028243_7d5c11fc67_b.jpg

Smurfy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smurfy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2021 at 10:49am
Typically every Tham design shows loads of detail, all but the 15" lol...
Smurfy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smurfy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2021 at 10:52am
And yes, agree, it holds it own very well in comparison the the 18" in the test above.

Anyone got clear designa for the Than 15?
Smurfy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smurfy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2021 at 10:59am
So sorry,
My bad totally....

I didn't scroll all the way down the page, what a numpty.

Oops
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>