Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with sub designs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2021 at 6:00pm
We had a pair of these, many moons ago. Loaded with fane 15xb's. They do have a distinctive sound, which I personally like. They ended up being used as kicks, above scoops. Very loud, hard punch. Not the greatest sound tbh.

(replying to the picture of the fane bins

Edited by munkey - 23 June 2021 at 6:02pm
the midtops!
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2021 at 6:16pm
I built 4 of the  larger 18” fane horns back in the early 90’s i think. Not bad in a block of 4 at the time, but i think things have moved on a bit. No, a lot.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2021 at 7:44pm
The fane is a very old design.

Plot below:

Edited by APW - 23 June 2021 at 7:50pm
Smurfy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smurfy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2021 at 8:05pm
I sized up the tham 15, I can get the whole cab apart from the baffle board out of a single sheet of ply.
And luckily I have a big enough off cut of marine ply for that.

Going to build one 1st, see how it sounds then build 7 more if I like it.

Was also looking at the little 6" tham sub, just a little pair for the home cinema setup, have just finished a big job and only have a few small ones between now and Xmas so ideal time to spend some time building the rig.

I have a rack of 8x EV CP2200"s, 4x EV CP4000S's along with 4x Crown CDi 6000's that have been sitting there doing nothing since I arrived, they need some exercise and a test run before the 50th next summer.

Will let u know how I get on.

But...

Do let me know how you get on with the ROAR when you use it in anger, I may build some of them too, I await your judgement.
Smurfy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smurfy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2021 at 8:34pm
Noud...

Looking great.

What program did you iluse to open the files in the zip file?
martinsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2021 at 5:22am
Quote Do let me know how you get on with the ROAR when you use it in anger, I may build some of them too, I await your judgement.

I'm sorry to say that my possibilities are limited to properly evaluate new designs such as the ROAR, I don't have a suitable power amp (~4kW/ch in 8Ohm) or a top system to match them at those levels, adding to all that I have nowhere to actually test them without disturbing people.

Previously we have turned to local sound hire companies for facilities, gear and comparisons, and eventually I might do the same for the ROAR15 but having moved to a smaller comunity and having two kids make it harder to find the time and help required.
Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/
Smurfy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smurfy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2021 at 5:43am
If ever on holiday in Cyprus, look me up, we have the space, the sea has no ears, we will knock a box up in no time and drive it to its limit.

Thanks for the Than, great work.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2021 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Smurfy Smurfy wrote:

If ever on holiday in Cyprus, look me up, we have space, the sea has no ears, we will knock a box up in no time and drive it to its limit.

Thanks for the Than, great work.

If you're gonna be using these things in a hot, sandy, beachy climate, may I recommend a rigorous cleaning process after every few gigs, if not each one? Your drivers and amps will last way longer if they're given a once over with an air compressor, and some little paint brushes every so often.

As boring as it looks, grilles and thick foam that you can remove, clean and reattach or replace goes a long way to protecting the more fragile parts of the transducer - especially when the magnet is sitting right in the mouth of the cabinet.

Trust me when I say that sand gets everywhere. 10 years of doing events on beaches in Croatia taught me that

Don't let this put you off the THAM15! Many other speakers will suffer just the same, but you won't be able to see it so easily.

The 'self-cooling aspect of the magnet being right in the mouth of a tapped horn is also a big benefit versus the Fane (or any other) front-loaded horn design in a hot climate. The sealed rear chambers of those types of boxes make them thermally limited at the best of times, and it can be tough to tell that they're cooking away inside. Painted wooden boxes tend to be pretty good absorbers and stores of heat when left in the sunshine through the daytime, too, meaning the ambient temperature of the rear chamber can be pretty high when the nighttime party starts.

Originally posted by Smurfy Smurfy wrote:

Was also looking at the little 6" tham sub, just a little pair for the home cinema setup, have just finished a big job and only have a few small ones between now and Xmas so ideal time to spend some time building the rig.

I'm sure the THAM6 is huge in output, but for home cinema, you might want something that plunges a little lower. Might I suggest either the TPAM10HTL or a clone of the TH-SPUD, which was a commercial product for a while? There's plenty of info out there for making these although you'll need to figure out a few dimensions:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/172025-th-spud-8.html
https://www.hometheatershack.com/threads/tapped-horn-build-th-spud.16807/
https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/83324-th-spud-clone/

Dimensions on this drawing are in inches

The benefit of these is that they were designed to hide underneath your sofa...

Edited by toastyghost - 24 June 2021 at 9:55am
Smurfy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smurfy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2021 at 10:34am
Thanks for your input Toastyghost, much appreciated.

We are having  a couple of 1/4 geodesic domes designed and built, one as a staging area and another for speakers etc, due to the sun, we have to break the rules and use a white paint on all cabinets, black sucks the sun way too much, we will have everything on a 150mm raised platform so sand won't be an issue, also gives us a level platform and a means to strap things down.
However blowing things out with a compressor is always good, both for dust and those who use cabs as a dustbin.

It's not going to be a rushed project to be fair, we here are only just opening up to certain countries for tourism, so we will have a few test events next year and we plan to be fully operational for 2023, well we better as we are booking in artists as of now.
The live music scene here will be revolutionised if we get it right.

As for then tham6, I did look at the 10 you mentioned, but thought it may be a bit of overkill, but it's a large room and there is such thing as a volume dial lol.
The room is 7x8m, with a 3m ceiling, so should be fine, they can be lost in the room without being too visually obtrusive, as long as you feel them.
Neighbours are not an issue, nearest is over 160m away and is a pretty deaf old farmer, there will be no other houses built surrounding me, and my house is insulated for heat/cold and I am sure that it contributes to audio measures too, the walls are 20" thick, the studio is in the basement(well actually 2x 20ft containers burried 10m aside to the house) and with the jbl's peaking you can do not hear anything in the house or outside for that matter

Mind you, the house is above ground so not the same rules apply, at present I don't hear anything when I am at the front gate even with an full on action movie exploding in the AV room.

I will look at the designs you suggest too, did the blue dimensions ever get resolved?
martinsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2021 at 12:11pm
Smurfy, I still need to make sure you get what you need for your business, that is the most important thing, and so I would like to once more mention that there are many other great diy designs and out there to consider, some of which might suit your needs better.

I am a bit hazy on exactly where you can find them, and diyaudio.com is a big place, but check out Brian steele's homepage where he has a good summary all with excellent excel workbooks for designing them differently if needed.

Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2021 at 1:22pm
Comp driver after 8hrs on a windy beach. 
You really are one of the nicest sp planners out there Martinsson. Respect.

Edited by doller - 24 June 2021 at 1:24pm
Smurfy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smurfy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2021 at 1:24pm
hi Martinsson,

I will do some more research, and if possible I will send you a full spec of venue and criteria and maybe you can offer some further advice.

As said, I will spend the week Nd doing some research, things are not needed to be finalised for a long time yet, but I he build process can start anytime to be fair.

And hey, if not totally suitable, they can always be added to, a modular system is always good, I have to look into long throw too, as we have a good 60m from location to waterfront so eventually will cover the whole area, have to consider also whether to add speakers closer to sea with a slight delay keeping it in sync with the stage sound arriving there.

We have the land on a 20 year contract, so it will be done properly, 

If you don't mind I may pm you the site spec, or even here as many awise head here offer sound sound advice 

Regards
David
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>