Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HF Horn/Waveguides

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HF Horn/Waveguides
    Posted: 26 July 2020 at 4:40pm
This is going to be part of my project in another thread. I wasn't getting very good HF response, so I'm looking into the causes and trying some other ideas.

This is one of the HF horns I was using

I tried measuring it without the rest of the box. There was a massive difference in top end when measuring on and off axis, in the long mouth direction. The best measurement was over 12 degrees off axis. Here is a comparison plot

I'm thinking the top end is bad on axis due to the bends in the middle pair of 'hornlets,' not helped by the internal width of them, it looks like there is nothing to make the shorter waves follow the contours, they would take a shortcut down the middle and cause cancellations. The outer hornlets are more straight.

To check it wasn't a problem with the overall horn dimensions and flare rate (which is fairly low,) I made a simple radial type horn with the same flare dimensions

This was measure using the same driver, settings and distance as the original horn

This looks fairly good. The trace with the dip around 15kHz was made on axis. I assume this is some sort of reflection across the straight sides of the horn. I won't be investigating any further as this horn won't actually work in the box I'm designing.
Blahblahblah
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 4:53pm
The next attempt is under way. I decided to try splitting the horn into 8 sections instead of 4, I also increased the length to make bending easier, and decided to try doing all the bends in one plane. I drew it out using paper templates of the hornlets, then made a mock up out of MDF and cheap ply

This was a bit tricky as the parts are tiny. It is half the horn so is only 12mm high, mouth length is 125mm.

I added a few more bits of MDF then poured moulding silicone in. This is what came out

I need to pick the stray bits off, but it came out okay. Next step is to make a silicone mould for an adaptor piece at the throat, 20mm long, to go from the round driver exit to the rectangular horn. This will also form the driver mounting flange.

I plan to make the actual horn using casting resin poured into the silicone mould.
Blahblahblah
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 6:34pm
I can add a little advice to this design. No sharp edges or corners inside the waveguide. Just a small radius on every inside edge will do Wonders for you :)

And you need to make every path the same length. Very important :)

Edited by FOO - 26 July 2020 at 6:36pm
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 9:40pm
I have been very careful to make the path lengths the same. The silicone mould will allow me to make horns with different curvatures.

I can take the corners off the mould, this can be done with a knife as I shave off the little stray bits. What is the reason for not having sharp corners?
Blahblahblah
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by doober doober wrote:

I have been very careful to make the path lengths the same. The silicone mould will allow me to make horns with different curvatures.

I can take the corners off the mould, this can be done with a knife as I shave off the little stray bits. What is the reason for not having sharp corners?

I cant tell you why sharp corners is bad, but i have been designing a few waveguides like this, and after some attempts not sounding good enough, quite harsh, i turned to a guru and asked for help.. he told me to round of all Sharp edges. The more rounded of the better result...

And he was spot on. Really big difference in sound and quite alot in responce also.. soo Maybe give it a try? With and without rounded edges :)
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2020 at 10:01am
Thanks for the input, I'll give it a go.
Blahblahblah
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2020 at 9:29pm
Here is the first attempt made from epoxy. It needs a bit of tidying up, and some outer walls. I'll probably just clamp it between 2 pieces of ply to give it a test. It is 2 separate casts, either side of a sheet of unclad epoxy PCB, with a GRP mounting flange and throat stuck on the end.

Hopefully I'll get to test it soon
Blahblahblah
JulianDA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulianDA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2020 at 10:08pm
That looks pretty nice! I like that you have a go at some more unconventional designs in terms of DIY speakers. Keep up with the good work and keep us updated! I think myself and probably others can learn a lot of different molding techniques from you Clap
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2020 at 4:16pm
Thanks, these techniques are new to me too, I'm making it up as I go!

I clamped it between 2 pieces of MDF and fitted a driver

This is the result, no EQ or filters

Looks like the HF is there,hopefully enough to sort out with a high-shelf EQ. It doesn't vary much off axis. I might knock up a small horn for further testing.
Blahblahblah
JulianDA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulianDA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2020 at 5:14pm
It looks like you are onto something that might work out great! the equaly spaced dips in the FR could indicate some heavy reflection from the "hornmouth". The chances are good that the will go away and reveal a nice FR with an adequately terminated horn ;)
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 9:31pm
I made a very basic 90 degree horn and did a test

Plot with no EQ or crossover

It looks a bit smoother now, there is quite a drop towards the high end, but it is a steady drop. It takes quite a boost to make it close to flat. I'm not sure whether it is too much, and when I make the proper box it might make things worse. I plan to use 4 of these horns to make a 500mm tall slot, curved in the vertical plane, my concern is that lower frequencies will get a boost from combining, higher frequencies will spread more and become weaker.
Blahblahblah
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2020 at 4:05pm
Reminds me a bit of the Danley layered combiner:

I think to be totally correct the hornlets should have a different path length depending on how far from the center of the slot they are to approximate the wavefront curvature in the vertical plane by the horn if it was extended backwards such that it was a conventional horn.  So in the case of 5 hornlet clusters feeding the large horn there should be 3 different moldings and those moldings will be unique for a specific vertical opening angle of the horn.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>