Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hifi column bass speaker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hifi column bass speaker
    Posted: 11 January 2019 at 4:03pm
Hi

been wondering if this sort of speaker would work. It is a bipole (not a dipole) with the two drivers wired in phase. mounted either end of a tube which is placed vertically on a stand to allow ratiation from the bottom driver. the idea is that you get an increase in directivity in the horizontal plane and some cancellation upwards and downwards. should work over a couple of octaves before you get ridiculous comb-filtering rather than a doughnut-ring shape. idea is to increase direct over reverberant sound field so that it behaves more similarly to a dipole midrange than a monople woofer would.

speakers are mounted opposite each other so shouldn't vibrate the cabinet and floor. I'm not sure whether it makes sense to divide the tube internally and/or to fill it with stuffing. could also set one or both drivers back from the end of the tube a bit to adjust rear volume and change the path lengths.

very easy to buy a bit of sewage pipe and test this so will do so ASAP. I can't find any online reference to this sort of design - is that because it's mental?

Phil
Finjby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finjby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 4:56pm
Reminds me of the old Bose acoustic wave cannon idea.   Remember one in a club in Broad street in Wolverhampton in the 90's with one slung above the bar... went low but not very loud.
Find some pipe and give it a go,  should be good for home hifi volumes.Clap
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Finjby Finjby wrote:

Reminds me of the old Bose acoustic wave cannon idea.   Remember one in a club in Broad street in Wolverhampton in the 90's with one slung above the bar... went low but not very loud.
Find some pipe and give it a go,  should be good for home hifi volumes.Clap

thanks. the bose was over twice the length but kind of similar.

the bose has one driver a quarter of the way down the tube so the two ends are in phase over about an octave. my idea should have similar radiation pattern but have wider bandwidth, lower efficiency, and less resonance.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2019 at 10:15pm

snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2019 at 10:17pm
this sim doesn't show any of the directivity effects. just seeing if it is realistic with tube volume and stuffing to get some decent output.

can anyone point me to a better pipe than this?

Edited by snowflake - 15 January 2019 at 10:20pm
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2019 at 10:34pm
200hz

300hz

400hz
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2019 at 11:08pm
thanks for those. what does putting a floor in do? should be able to steer the lobes by having a longer length of tube in front of one driver.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2019 at 2:45pm
@Pasi, what software would you recommend for producing plots like those? I've always used Hornresp and Akabak to design my other projects but they aren't going to be much help on this one.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2019 at 7:10pm
also just remembered I can't get Akabak to run on a 32-bit emulator on this windows10 machine for some reason :( might have to dig the old PC out from under the bed.
sgarfa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgarfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 9:16am
i run akabak in VMlite xp mode ..on win10 without problems
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by sgarfa sgarfa wrote:

i run akabak in VMlite xp mode ..on win10 without problems

thanks, will try that. I tried using Oracle VM VirtualBox and got an error message "Raw-mode is unavailable courtesy of Hyper-V. (VERR_SUPDRV_NO_RAW_MODE_HYPER_V_ROOT)."
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2019 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

@Pasi, what software would you recommend for producing plots like those? I've always used Hornresp and Akabak to design my other projects but they aren't going to be much help on this one.

That’s just side view of EASE Focus with a generic source. It’s free, but it doesn’t do boundaries. You won’t get much of anything that does boundaries for sub-100Hz I’m afraid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>