Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hifi sound quality with PA SPL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MPASOUND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2017 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by MattStolton MattStolton wrote:

Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

True, and a cinema is a very challenging space acoustically.
I love doing events in cinema rooms!

USUALLY (/caveat) very well treated rooms, lots of heavy drapes, and carpet often extends up wall too, well padded chairs, with plenty of bodies further absorbing room acoustic. Intelligibility is key!

Some of the most acoustically dead spaces outside of studios, in my experience

+1 Most commercial cinemas are very nice acoustically treated rooms 
Mixing in them is a pleasure! These sorts of rooms will show how 'HiFi' a good PA system can be.
It's just bits of paper flapping about in a box.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2017 at 1:41pm
Arr. They have to be so damped, I think it's because they are a challenging space :)

What I was really getting at is in modern setups you have to deliver a minimum of 5.1 surround, but it has to be deployed such that ideally every audience member gets the same experience. And the seating in any modern medium-large cinema is all over the place. You'd have no chance whatsoever without an acoustically dead room, but then the real fun starts. It would be interesting to chat to someone responsible for designing a cinema deployment.
Williamson_112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Williamson_112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2024 at 10:06am
Sure thing!

Getting that Hifi sound quality with PA SPL can be a bit tricky, but it's doable. 

First, you want to make sure you've got some good quality gear, like speakers and amps.

Then, pay attention to how you set things up. Positioning your speakers right and adjusting the levels is key.

Lastly, make sure your source audio is top-notch. Low-quality audio won't sound great no matter how good your gear is.

For more tips and advice, check out https://hifiaudios.com/ - Hifi Audios. They've got loads of info to help you get that sweet Hifi sound with PA SPL.

el chupacabra View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el chupacabra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2024 at 11:19am
following on from the previous 2017 posts....

there was, for a few months, a squatted social centre/ in an old arthouse cinema round here circa jan-may 2017. I only put rig in a couple of times but it was fantastically dampened. the second time was for a dub session and really shone in memory as one of the heaviest and cleanest deployments i'd had in a while.

When they first moved in and upon visiting I actually apologised for tatting some of the cinema av bits as I'd also helped the previous tenants relocate to the new council funded premises as part of the friend's man and van business and we'd infact been the last ones in the building prior to it getting taken.
stoneeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stoneeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2024 at 6:00am
Cute :) I found this thread of the old, ignorant me. Well, actually, my core views and experiences are largely unchanged, just since then enhanced by 1000s of additional hours of technical learning, mostly acoustic measurement related.

I do some audio reviews and fundamental research now. You can find most of it at stoneeh - YouTube

And, guess what - after years of ideas, then hard work, I also have my HiFi-PA system that back then I only had as a thought and dream in my head almost completed, already completely functional. A soundcheck from a while ago:

Cool that this thread got to be 10 pages long. I must admit I just read the first and last one.. maybe someday I'll read the rest. I hope you enjoyed my life sign :) Cheers!
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2024 at 1:07am
That sounds really good. What microphone are you using for the recording? 

Best Regards, 
Elliot Thompson
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2024 at 8:48am
Here is one of mine.

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2024 at 7:21pm
Celestion Axiperiodic driver on a nice big horn is the best thing ive heard that can deliver PA SPL,  its high end hifi quality and loud enough for 500-1000 people.    
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2024 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Here is one of mine.

Synergy / unity horn Marjan?
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2024 at 4:20pm
No its our own proprietary concept. 
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
fudge22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fudge22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2024 at 9:35pm

Quote No its our own proprietary concept.

This post is a bit early, and more a general questioning of the statement quoted above, that could be applied at any number of manufacturers, not just the one who posted it.

The post is early, in that it was 1925 that a patent was granted to Kellogg and Rice for the direct radiating loudspeaker so still a year to its century. Siemens, however, was the first to describe the "dynamic" or moving-coil transducer in 1874 and we do still have 6 years to go before the bass reflex design hits 100.

My questioning of the above quote is that I can’t think of any design that I have seen this century, that I would consider unique. Pretty much everything is a variation, refinement or repackage of some previous idea and design.

Does anyone know of anything that is truly original (even from before when this thread was started)? If so please include your working out.

KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2024 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Here is one of mine.

That looks most beautiful and deadly Clap

Edited by KDW32 - 20 March 2024 at 9:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>