Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hifi sound quality with PA SPL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 10:09pm
And just for the record my hifi consists of 2 F1 118 per side and 1 R4-E-CP . Crest 10004 on the bass and low mid, MC2 MC series on my mid/hi. Processor BSS omni drive 366. Oh and a bloody good mains supply!

Edited by boots-hifi - 30 August 2016 at 10:10pm
70,s hero View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,s hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2016 at 11:31pm
Just for the record my Hi Fi consists of a PA
Top banana
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2016 at 1:34am
"Just for the record my Hi Fi consists of a PA"

+1

djk
70,s hero View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,s hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2016 at 9:22am
That should sort the neighbours out I am fortunate enough to have the luxury of a PA in a soundproof studio and a separate HI FI system in my house.
Top banana
cooky1257 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cooky1257 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2016 at 9:43am
Well all my HiFi speaker components come from totl JBL Pro R&D.

cooky1257 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cooky1257 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2016 at 9:45am
What's the horn Djk, and have you tried running it vertical?

Edited by cooky1257 - 31 August 2016 at 9:46am
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2016 at 2:49pm
ultra-low distortion bass reproduction is over-rated. our ears are so bad at hearing bass that it is the higher order harmonics induced in the ear that we are really detecting and interpreting as the fundamental frequency. search for 'missing fundamental'. it's not perfect because the otolith organs do detect very low frequencies and are more sensitive than the cochlea. it is possible to completely replace the fundamental with second and third order harmonics at lower volume and the resulting perception is almost indistinguishable from the full volume fundamental - in this case the system is producing 100% distortion and it sounds okay.

all drivers will produce 3rd order harmonics as they approach xmax, if they can also be designed to produce significant 2nd order harmonic from asymetry as they approach high excursion the resulting distortion consisting of 2nd and 3rd will sound quite musical and compensate for the effects of power compression.

also no one has mentioned dispersion. unless the speaker has constant directivity - at least over the vocal range - it won't sound natural because there will be a difference between the response of the direct and reflected sounds reaching the ear. there is no way to record and reproduce all live music perfectly as many musical instruments have significant directivity.
70,s hero View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,s hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2016 at 6:46pm
Yes it's a difficult one bass,we feel it and hear it but there is a whole array of differing perceptions, personally I prefer as close as clean , undistorted as possible, I think my HiFi comes as close to that as I am going to get when ime listening to material that has say a double bass in it recorded live and being 35 feet or so away from the speakers....then I can hear the instrument Crystal clear, on the other hand, if I am cranking up my PA in the studio then it's as you say, it has a lot more distortion but does what it says on the tin.

On another note, I was working for a studio engineer a couple of weeks back who is right in to his Hi Fi, can't remember what his speakers were but he swore by his ribbons, seemed to know a lot about it all but I didn't get to hear em....the other thing he was in to was the input side of things, he used an Apple Mac to store his no loss music but said the Apple was rubbish at music due to the internal clock and sampling rate, anyhow, he had an external clock gizmo wired to a battery which was custom made in Denmark which he reckoned made all the difference to the quality of the sound..... Just thought I would run that past anyone interested.
Top banana
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2016 at 11:19pm
"What's the horn Djk, and have you tried running it vertical? "

EV HR90 with DH7, it sounds better as is.

Has since been replaced by JBL 2384 with 2435 Be (unbelievable upgrade)

JBL 4508 cabinet with one port blocked is tuned to about 28hz.

Eminence Magnum drivers with the aluminum phase-plug (sound better than the 2226 the cabinets came with).

djk
cooky1257 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cooky1257 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2016 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

EV HR90 with DH7, it sounds better as is

Has since been replaced by JBL 2384 with 2435 Be (unbelievable upgrade)

It(EV HR90) looks similar to the TAD 4003. Yep have to agree the 2435 Be(I use them on the vertical SAM1 horns)is very nice-Can imagine it sounding sweet on that screen array horn..

Edited by cooky1257 - 01 September 2016 at 1:15pm
Steve20131 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve20131 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2016 at 9:45pm
If thats how easy it is to make you buy crap then you will always get mugged

Plus 3" mids last indefinitely,  2" titanium cd diaphragms breakup after a couple of years and are fiddly and expensive to replace.  16 3" per side will cost you less and smash out 135db+,  less phase problems and no standing waves from the horn.  If hifi is what you really want.  And yes minimum 4 way

Edited by Steve20131 - 07 September 2016 at 9:56pm
B_Bender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B_Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2016 at 11:36am
Go to the Albert Hall and listen to their Ribbon driver PA!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>