Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hill Audio Speakers and amps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sustayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2013 at 2:47pm
Tangentially, this may be of interest.  I own a Hill Audio M3 Series Theatre mixing desk with the original power supply.  If anyone has the hots to own this, I am interested to sell it. Should I send any images to post on this thread?  Thanks.
RC1 Sound System View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RC1 Sound System Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2013 at 4:28pm
Just occurred to me to mention I still have a pair of very nice sounding 10" tannoy dual concentric drivers in good working order from my Hill speaker days.  As used in the M4, M6, etc.  Would be available for sale or px if anyone needed them.

Edited by RC1 Sound System - 30 September 2013 at 4:29pm
Jubone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jubone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2014 at 10:45pm
"I witnessed an AC-DC tour once with a massive Hill Audio system that filled two artics along with another two artics for the lighting and it will stick in my memory until I pop my clogs.
Anyone on here ever witnessed the "Malcolm Hill Experience" in the old days?"

Interesting thread. Think I experienced Hill Audio a few times back in the day. First time was AC/DC at Liverpool Empire in 1979 when I was still a young teenager, they tore the place apart.

Next up was AC/DC again this time the Back in Black tour. Must have got to the venue in Deeside before midday to get near to the front of the queue, took a little break form the queue and went for a wonder round the back. Had a good view of the set, just remember fork lift trucks building two massive walls of black boxes! Some time later when we got in to the venue looking at the stage, the speaker stacks were about the same length of the stage, ...each, and maybe thirty feet high. Needless to say they tore the place apart.

Last one was at Monsters of Rock 81 with AC/DC headlining, Again a massive walls of boxes, but didn't seem as loud as it looked,but then it was out doors.

I recently picked up some interesting old Volt loaded Hill bass cabinets, Has anyone got any experience of or comments on these?

http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o667/judetrim/9a9bb265-27a0-49a4-8d37-c39e81488166_zps7dfaaa57.jpg

Edited by Jubone - 11 May 2014 at 1:45pm
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2014 at 7:56am
just checked the http://www.hill-audio.com/?page_id=23 legacy product page, and found an 18page brochure about my mixer with some specs etc.  

I still don't have the schematics, but I have to praise these guys for taking the time and effort to publish old documents of marginal products that are not related at all to their present business Clap 

EDIT: and again, if anyone reading this happens to have service manual / schematics of HILL CONCEPT 400 Series, pleeeeease PM me Embarrassed

Edited by bob4 - 07 March 2014 at 7:58am
Geigertron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geigertron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2014 at 2:57pm
If anyone has a old dx3000 or Opus KA3000 , I'd be interested in buying another, please pm me
Ian Colville View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Colville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2014 at 3:58pm
FYI, the company that this link leads to has absolutely nothing to do with the defunct UK company Hill Audio.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2015 at 7:48am
someone shifting JBL 6290 on ebay oddly posted a second pic with a bunch of hill audio amps:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/JBL-Urei-6290-Endstufe-2-x-700Watt-an-4-Ohm-2-x-400Watt-an-8-Ohm-/251783697909?&autorefresh=true

jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2015 at 10:44am
Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

I think if I was the drummer I'd be bloody nervous

Judging by the fun & games happening over in NZ with him recently, the huge backline may have had a somewhat different effect on him!
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
Geigertron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geigertron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2015 at 5:18pm
Bet that lots heavy!

Bob4

Edited by Geigertron - 08 January 2015 at 5:19pm
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2015 at 2:40pm
music is the message
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2015 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by burningbush burningbush wrote:

Hill amp on the 'bay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hill-Audio-TSA-1602-Power-Amplifier-DJ-Disco-Amp-/171644706921?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item27f6d26069

These any good? Its not far from me but I've never seen one before so its got me curious, it certainly looks well built, would it be on par with a C Audio XR3801 as the output specs look the same? 
RC1 Sound System View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RC1 Sound System Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2015 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by njw njw wrote:

Originally posted by burningbush burningbush wrote:

Hill amp on the 'bay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hill-Audio-TSA-1602-Power-Amplifier-DJ-Disco-Amp-/171644706921?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item27f6d26069

These any good? Its not far from me but I've never seen one before so its got me curious, it certainly looks well built, would it be on par with a C Audio XR3801 as the output specs look the same? 

I used to run a few of them 20 or so years ago.
They did sometimes overheat if used hard on bass at 2 ohms/channel, 4 ohms no probs.

I remember they had a nice transparent sounding clip limiter built in too.

They did have a couple of resistors that were prone to overheating in the biasing of the channels, but that was an easy upgrade/fix.
Otherwise a very nice sounding amp, and a good sturdy quality build.

I saw "Ian Colville" popped up somewhere not too far from here on the forum - I vaguely recall he might have had something to do with the design or technical side of the amps, so he might be worth asking if you need to know anything technical.

Cheers, Jon Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>