Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hiring early '70s cabs for photoshoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hi grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2019 at 8:04pm
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2019 at 9:14am
Ditto Robbo,never knew it existed. Learn something new everyday. Great website.

OK, 1970/71 Isle of Wight festival style....if you look at his gallery, http://chvintageaudio.com/gallery/

2nd row up from the bottom,third one along...4560's with HHB angled mids,and JBL crinkle lens on top...these are around 1972-73 era...to get a 'true' 1970/71 Isle of Wight festival you would need the addition of the enormous RCA w bins,and the JBL 2356 horns, but i dont think you would ever find those anymore here in the UK.

The little 4560 rig i mention above,you can often see these in the background on videos of the Old grey whistle test, the BBC showed some old Bowie footage using them in their studio, and also Led Zep,so i think that is about as near to realistic as you are going to find.  Thumbs Up

edit....The RCA w bins and JBL concert horns from 1972.

Edited by jbl_man - 31 January 2019 at 2:58pm
Be seeing you.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2019 at 9:19am
Oh,and please, make sure they are using vintage period amps too (Amcron,Phase Linear or Midas).

Nothing worse than a vintage photo shoot, and you get a glimpse of a rack of Powersoft,FFA,MC2 or some other modern crap.
Be seeing you.
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2019 at 12:05pm
That museum / collection is amazing. Like most others here, I had no idea it existed.

So that's where all the Audiomasters ended up, I thought they had gone to landfill...

And I haven't seen a 1970's Midas PR series monitor board for at least 35 years. Kelsey Quad 303's too (and the list goes on).

I have put a link in the Golden Oldies section, maybe it should be a sticky post?
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2019 at 1:22pm
When I first started we had three WEM Audiomasters bought from Slade---you could link them all together to give a 15 channel mixer but only two were the de-luxe model with the monitor mix on board so we always had to juggle channels to get unimportant ones on the five without foldback.
I noticed the modified Quads as well---superb HF amp back in the day and I remember having Phase Linear 400Bs and 700Bs---It was always a case of plugging all six of them in when setting up just to get four of them working as they always used to fall apart on the road.

One thing that I did not see in Chris's collection was any of the 4x100w WEM slave blocks that Charlie Watkins used to build for the Bands with bigger PA systems---Essentially four SL100 amp chassis built into one four way cabinet---They have got to be one of the rarest items in PA memorabilia.

Edited by Robbo - 31 January 2019 at 1:27pm
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2019 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

One thing that I did not see in Chris's collection was any of the 4x100w WEM slave blocks that Charlie Watkins used to build for the Bands with bigger PA systems---Essentially four SL100 amp chassis built into one four way cabinet---They have got to be one of the rarest items in PA memorabilia.
I don't recall those but if they were anything like the stand alone versions they probably self-incinerated or were jumped on and destroyed by irate roadies when they failed as they often did (probably because someone looked at them the wrong way!)
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
hi grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hi grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2019 at 2:29pm
Could swear he did show me some of them was walking round some of his lock ups was blown away with the amount history that he had !
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2019 at 2:41pm
Yes,the stand alone SL100 amps were not exactly the most reliable amp in the world--one of the biggest problems with them going bang was Charlies bright idea of speccing all WEM cabinets as either 12 ohms or 6 ohms and same for the amps as they had a 6 ohm socket on them and a lot of people used to try and run them into a 4 ohm load as they thought it was close enough and hence the instant bang followed by a big flash and cloud of smoke.
hi grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hi grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2019 at 2:48pm
he’s not to far from you robbo nice friendly chap surprised you don’t know him sure he would love a chat and a brew would be nice to be educated by two ledgends !
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2019 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by jazomir jazomir wrote:

The YouTube video from this guy is amazing - brings back loads of memories from the seventies. The EMS VCS3 shown in his lockup should be in a safe nowadays - the originals are worth an absolute fortune.

Be seeing you.
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2019 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

When I first started we had three WEM Audiomasters bought from Slade...

I remember seeing Slade with those in the early or mid 70's, but I thought they had been fitted with new electronics, possibly by Ken Flegg (Gelf Electronics) He was best known for making some of the first dedicated monitor desks, for those who couldn't afford a Midas PR.

Edited by madboffin - 31 January 2019 at 3:45pm
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2019 at 4:17pm
Yes, Ken built all of Slades desks--I think his first one was a flat profile twelve channel one designed around the Audiomaster modules and PC boards and then a much larger 24 channel desk with individual chan VU meters that was used in their prime touring era along with a 16 into 6 mix monitor desk that I ended up owning at one stage.

Towards the end of their touring career the band bought a huge Gelf FOH desk from Joe Brown at TASCO which was originally designed and built for Elton John---It was physically bigger (and bloody heavier) than anything that Midas had ever built but for some reason it was only a mono desk but with eight sub-groups
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>