Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hiring early '70s cabs for photoshoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wivman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 10:52am
Thanks for everyone's help and input.  Much appreciated.

Ian
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2019 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

CH Vintage Audio have this stuff for hire.

I have never used them but according to their web site they have a very large collection of 60s & 70s vintage gear (including WEM, Martin Audio, HH, Vox etc. all for hire.

Wow, that brought back a few memories, I'd completely forgotten about the 4x10 Wem column a mate and myself were given during our early mobile dj careers that promptly got blown to bits the first time we used it at school disco, we put in the skip around the back after the gig had finished! And the HH 412dc I had (there was a pair, somehow one got nicked, I don't know how 'cause they're bloody huge!), that got cut in half (badly) to make a pair of 212dc's. My first 'proper' amps were an HH s130 and an s150, I had an ma100 and 150 too. Up until a few years ago I had a pair of HH concert bins too, I gave them away when I moved house and was emptying my sheds out....
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2019 at 12:09pm
WEM 4x10 columns were quite rare as virtually everyone used to go for the 4x12 A or B columns due to minimal price difference.
Charlie did bring out a 6x10 column that split in half to form 2 3x10 cabinets that clipped together and it did sound quite nice due to uprated Celestion 10" drivers---the only problem was that it would topple over very easily half way through the gig so it went down like a lead balloon and quickly disappeared from the catalogue.
My own personal favourite from that era was the WEM Festival stacks---I owned four of them at one time and they were very rare due to a hefty price tag because of containing expensive drivers. Years later when we had progressed to Martin Audio and Mega large touring systems, I still used a pair of Festival Stacks for sidefills on many tours due to their great coverage and superb sound.
chvintage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chvintage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 5:16pm
I have the actual full  (Isle of wight and other festivals ) WEM  system plus the next few generations of systems by WEM Martin audio JBL ATC etc  I did the stuff for Elton john film and Queen film  probably got over 1000 60s and 1970s and 80s PA cabs plus 30 plus WEM audiomasters and other early desks

Chris CHvintageaudio.com

07970 219701
Wivman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wivman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 5:30pm
Hi Chris

Sounds fantastic.  We are at the development stages of a period film at the moment and will be in touch once casting is completed, but this might take a while.  Sounds like you have just the kit and experience we need!

Cheers

Ian
chvintage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chvintage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 5:35pm
yes if you look on my website you will see that I was on the Isle of wight with the BBC    with a bit of my massive WEM system   also did the Live Aid desk and other stuff for the Queen movie   I have recreated the Pompeii floyd speaker system too  just call me on 07970 219701 I heve period mics cables stands effects amps flight cases etc etc all correct period

Wivman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wivman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 5:42pm
Great stuff, Chris
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 7:50pm
Hi Chris and welcome to the forum--There are quite a few guys on here that go back to the early seventies and eighties so there is already a huge font of knowledge for you to add to with your experience.
I keep on thinking that our paths must have crossed at sometime in the dark and dirty past as I was involved with a lot of work around the Manchester area as I did lots of hire for tours promoted by Kennedy Street Artistes and Danny Betesch.
I also had a very good friend and business acquaintance in Pete Lloyd from Novasound who used to be based in Northwich but I think he went from PA hire and building cabinets into trucking quite a few years back now---Cheers--John.
chvintage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chvintage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 8:21pm
I was Tractor Music PA and Festival Stage Hire based in Rochdale in the 70s and 80s and used to do big systems with Wigwam and Mitrex jointly around 77 and 78 I knew Pete Lloyd  he made some boxes for me and Nigel Dunbar who went to work with him was a Rochdale/ Oldham lad who started off hanging around Mitrex like me and Mick Spratt from Wigwam did in the very early 70s

Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 8:31pm
Chris--When the weather gets a bit warmer, I will give you a ring and pop up to see you as it will be very interesting to have a good chat and remember the good old days as it seems like we know a few of the old timers---I can remember Nigel as well with his broad accent and Pete did build a fine cabinet and there are even a few of his old huge 2x15 curved front bass bins owned by forum members on here.
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 9:17pm
hi chris, welcome to the forum 

I had an enjoyable couple of hours perving at your website. thats a fine collection of toys you have there.

is everything in working order or just for aesthetic purposes?

I used to cross paths with charlie watkins quite regularly in the early 2000s - truly lovely bloke and very humble - which was quite frustrating really because it was quite hard to get him to blow his own trumpet about his achievements - although he did have a fine collection of war stories once you managed to get him going
LOUDER THAN LOUD
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 9:49pm
As there is so much knowledge from the 70's and 80's PA systems would anyone know who supplied the PA system for the Bob Marley independance concert in Zimbabwe 1980.I attended the show as a child and was amazed by the sound quality and power. Had never felt so much bass in my life. Would be interesting knowing what it comprised of. I believe the PA system was from the UK. 

Edited by Pinyorouk - 12 February 2019 at 9:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>