Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hiring early '70s cabs for photoshoot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chvintage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 12:42am
Quite a lot of the stuff works- if it is needed for a job where it needs to work it usually can be serviced to do so
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 11:03am
Originally posted by chvintage chvintage wrote:

I have recreated the Pompeii floyd speaker system too 

Was looking at the video only the other day Chris...what are the sectorial multi-cell horns used there? Vitavox? Altec? You get a glimpse of the horns drivers hanging out the back of the cabinets on the rear shots on the video, JBL? Altec? I assume the bass drivers in the cabinets would also be something much more substanial than the usual WEM fitment....Celestion Powercel maybe?

The WEM system was clearly inadequate for Pink Floyd's needs,as just a year or so later they were using a huge Martin system shown below based around the 215mk1.

This is 1973.

Edited by jbl_man - 13 February 2019 at 11:04am
Be seeing you.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 1:50pm
Ian---The pic above shows cabinets that were used by the London based hire company TASCO back in those days---All of the 2x15 Martin Audio bins were built by or for TASCO and are not original Martin Audio boxes.

I bought a load of them from Joe Brown at TASCO when they were up for replacement and Slade ended up with 16 of them as well to replace their old Charlie Watkins designed 2x15 curved front cabinets.

The 2x15s were loaded with Gauss drivers(5831 I think if my memory serves me correctly) and it looks like all of the Radial horn boxes were TASCO cabinets as well--JBL 2" 2482 and 2440 loaded.
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Pinyorouk Pinyorouk wrote:

As there is so much knowledge from the 70's and 80's PA systems would anyone know who supplied the PA system for the Bob Marley independance concert in Zimbabwe 1980.I attended the show as a child and was amazed by the sound quality and power. Had never felt so much bass in my life. Would be interesting knowing what it comprised of. I believe the PA system was from the UK. 

I don't have a definite answer, but Marley was a long-term client of TFA Electrosound. They had a large system based in the UK and would likely have been the first choice when that show was arranged at short notice.

Edited by madboffin - 13 February 2019 at 3:42pm
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 3:53pm
I always thought the WEM multicells were the small Vitavoxes (Type 550).
Any idea what drivers were fitted, possibly Vitavox GP1's?

Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 4:12pm
Yes Vitavox GP1 drivers were fitted on the very first Festival Stacks but were changed to RCF horns and drivers in the later ones.
I think I mentioned above that I owned two pairs of Festival stacks back in the day and they were mismatched--we updated HF drivers and horns etc when refurbing the earlier pair at one point due to original cloth with lined pattern on it going all baggy and horrible and fitted the newer cloth that was almost black with sparkly bits in it. At the same time we changed all 10" 12" and 15" cone drivers to JBL and Gauss in all four stacks so were then completely matched and also sounded so much better than the original Celestion cones.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 5:41pm
The Pompeii video...you can see the drivers poking out the horn cabinets backs at around 6.25 mins.

Be seeing you.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 7:59pm
Yes--GP1 drivers, can tell from the size more than anything as they were very small compared to the later and much larger S3 unit.
The twin sectoral cabinets with gold coloured horns are the early Festival Stack HF cabinets and having to watch that video has just reminded me of how boring I found Pink Floyd back then and still to this day---I have probably just offended half the forum members with that but sorry guys.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 8:01pm
Just dug out the dvd of Pompei. Definitely a couple of the larger vitavox 220hz horns there too alongside the smaller , gold 550hz units. I should imagine that they would have been driven by S2’s or S3’s.

“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 8:13pm
Im pretty sure the 2 larger wem cabs behind gilmour are the 1x18s

burke from budgie used to hang a pair of them off a marshall major run pretty much flat out, even for smallish pub gigs

it was quite visceral
LOUDER THAN LOUD
chvintage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chvintage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 9:22pm
The horns at Pompeii were Vitavox sectoral 6 cell twins x 2   and 15 cell vitavox sectoral x 1  the dtivers in the single festival stack per side plus all the columns were fairly standard goodmans and celestions
chvintage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chvintage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2019 at 9:26pm
the two larger cabs per side next to each set of WEM Starfinder 4 x 12s are ported infinite baffle 2 x15s
for Roger's bass    I have four of them
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234