Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hk audio PROJECTOR repairs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lickweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hk audio PROJECTOR repairs
    Posted: 05 March 2020 at 7:43pm
Anyone familiar with projector system,im looking for someone who can repair amp module
We bought system from dishonest seller and 1 sub module is faulty
thanks

Edited by lickweed - 05 March 2020 at 7:45pm
http://www.liquidsound.co.uk/
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2020 at 8:48pm
Word of warning about the Projector System---We bought a complete six box rig when it first came out and initially we were very pleased with it as it sounded very good, fitted into a Sprinter size van along with the rest of the PA rig and was not overweight.
We operated the rig ourselves without any dry hires and really looked after it as it was used mainly for corporate and theatre work and ours came with a free set of covers but after a few months we started having daft little problems which further down the line turned into big problems with reliability.
The distributors John Hornby Skewes were very good at first, supplying modules and spares but when it was a year old this all came to an end.
We sold it on Ebay and managed to get our investment back as it was in virtually new condition wise and in the end we were glad to see the back of it.
It was a real shame as we were considering buying another four stacks of it but when problems started with it we went for Ohm TRS stacks driven by Powersoft Digam 7000s which also sounded much better and were 100% reliable.
lickweed View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lickweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2020 at 10:18pm
Thanks Robbo
We have 2 sets,never had any problems with it in many years.
The problem is with third one we bought recently from dishonest seller.

http://www.liquidsound.co.uk/
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2020 at 10:46pm
Any amp engineer will be able to fix that era of HK, from the Lucas, Elias, Deacon, Actor to Projector. Nice quality linear amp modules made ISTR by yorkville. The later 'DX' range had their own digital amps in that weren't so hot IMHO.

John Hornby Skewes are no longer the official HK importer.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Wikl109 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wikl109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2020 at 10:58pm
Are you sure Kevin? Still listed as importers on both websites. The direct contacts don't seem to think differently?
Cheers, Chris.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2020 at 11:01pm
Yes they have parted company. I dare say the websites will be updated in due course.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Wikl109 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wikl109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2020 at 11:12pm
Very good to know. I wasn't doubting what you'd said. I've got another ELIAS here that needs taking to bits and re-furbing. I know the VX amps were built by Yorkville in Canada but that's useful to know about the amp modules.
This ones 20 years old this year.
Cheers, Chris.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2020 at 11:16pm
I'm only guessing about yorkville doing the speaker modules but the boards are very similar to the VX style of construction. Rather good plate amps and Farnell do all the parts
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Wikl109 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wikl109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2020 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

I'm only guessing about yorkville doing the speaker modules but the boards are very similar to the VX style of construction. Rather good plate amps and Farnell do all the parts

Yep I know. Thanks for the info, I may even end up buying this one.
Cheers, Chris.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2020 at 11:28pm
I always liked the sound of this family of speakers and they still stand above the modern '1000 watts of pure class D power' style of box that every DJ shop sells.
Always worth checking the wooden dowels that space the grilles off the front of the box. If the grille gets kicked you'll lose a few and then the grille will resonate and drum like an old Talbot Salora
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Wikl109 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wikl109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2020 at 11:42pm
Yep that's why I drill them out and replace with either screws or some metal rod. MDF boxes though so you have to be careful.
I do have experience with the later HK range of these boxes. ELIAS PX and ACTOR DX, I too thought they were a downgrade.
Robbo, I've used the PROJECTOR several times and never had any issues. I always thought it was incredibly efficient for the spec.
Cheers, Chris.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2020 at 10:49am
Yeah--As I said we were really happy with the sound quality and the way it stacked and packed in the van was superb as it is always nice and easy to work with a uniform box system that is not in danger of getting pushed or knocked over, but it was just the reliability issues that caused us problems and this was the only reason why we decided not to expand the rig with more stacks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>