Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOG Scoop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 63>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2007 at 9:08am
hehe

it's getting warm outside

It smells like hog scoop testing to me

I'll give it a go as soon as I'll return from Musikmesse
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
jethrocker View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2007 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by madboy madboy wrote:

i think use this circuit
and with little corection from me :) variable from  10Hz up to 50 Hz
this frequency range OK or not?

madboy..that cicuit will do the job fine.. though I'd recommend working out the highpass frequency you require for your bins and building it with fixed resistors rather than the twin pot.
This will have a couple of advantages, the first being that no-one can accidently change the setting either robbing you of low end or giving your bins frequencies they don't want. The second is that matching of the two resistors is essential, and matching between the sections on twin pots is always a bit of a problem, even expensive ones.
If you build with fixed resistors, measure from a selection to get an exact match.

Another thing to consider..where are you going to put this circuit in your signal chain? Worth putting it in as early as possible, between source and preamp stages if possible, just to gain a bit of headroom through the chain.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2007 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by CHAMPION CHAMPION wrote:

Just 2 Questions

1.  Why is the chamber do compact / tight, similar to Microscoops, what advantages / disadvantages does this have with sound ?

2. is there a function ofthe baffle being at an angle ?

Thanks

Hey Champ.. the chamber issue in scoop designs has been discussed a fair bit, and seems to divide the troops, particularly the roots sound boys who often favour a bigger chamber.

I think that a smaller chamber will give a smoother response higher up, and a generally tighter more musical sound. These designs are more suited to drivers with parameters suitable for front horn loading such as 1850s.
Scoops with large rear chambers (to me) sound a bit lower, but less defined and more "flappy" and seem to lack tone higher up.

The angled baffle should be fairly obvious.. It makes the baffle part of the final flare extension, giving a larger mouth area and therefore lower cut off for the same size cab.
CHAMPION View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAMPION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2007 at 4:58am
Cheers, so theese Hogs should give a more tight smoother sound.

And other Super / ASS scoop should give a more lazy low slow bass.

I suspose it also depends on what type of music you play, hence you boys know.

So what would these Hogs be compared to a 186 / 1850 Horn ??

Sticks n Stones
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2007 at 10:52am
Don't think you can compare them to a 186/1850..they're still a scoop or rear loaded horn design with a direct radiating element-rather than a front loaded horn.
There has been some discussion, without any real conclusions, on how this concept could relate to the tapped horn principle.
It's always pretty hard to compare cabs anyway, they all tend to have their individual pros cons and peculiarities.
The Hog is a scoop, just reworked, looks like it will drop lower, and staipers testing supports this. Haven't heard one though so I'm not going to compare it to anything... If I can get my hands on a suitable driver or two I'm going to be very tempted to give them a try though!

Edit:Horrific spelling on account of worn webcafe keyboard with no letters left on keys/mad rush to get to work..

Edited by jethrocker - 14 March 2007 at 6:14pm
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2007 at 10:53am
if you think the Hog chamber is small, you should see the DubSub chamber

@Jethrocker
your bang on mate

Edited by mykey - 14 March 2007 at 10:55am
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2007 at 12:10pm

What's all this about slow and lazy?
these cabs are installed in some heavy dance clubs.So they can be hard and tight. But as always- signal dependent.
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2007 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

if you think the Hog chamber is small, you should see the DubSub chamber. 

Are you saying the DubSubs chamber is even smaller Mykey ?

mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2007 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Tekasis Tekasis wrote:

Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

if you think the Hog chamber is small, you should see the DubSub chamber. 

Are you saying the DubSubs chamber is even smaller Mykey ?

no! the girl i was with last night
madboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2007 at 2:38pm

hei boys give here frequency responce of this cabs.

HOG scoop
dubsub scoop

and how it is sound with black hip-hop , techno and many more music with
more bass?

Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2007 at 2:42pm
R U sure mate ??  I thought you like lady boys ?  

gazman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2007 at 2:42pm
...black hip hop?! LOL!

I don't think anyones done any proper measurements yet madboy these things are fairly new.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 63>