Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Home Dub Sound System For Fun Set-up Advice Please
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Home Dub Sound System For Fun Set-up Advice Please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadMongos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home Dub Sound System For Fun Set-up Advice Please
    Posted: 24 September 2022 at 4:44pm
Hello any advice would be most appreciated and also would this setup work before I fill the cart?
The idea is to build a little reggae sound system at a budget price for my back room.
The two speakers one side of the room with sub-woofer at the front in a triangle set up with me in the middle hopefully smiling as I get hit with sound.
I'm keeping my Hifi system for all my other genres of music but I really wanna have some fun with my dub collection. It's just for home use. 
I'd be using a Vestax PDX-2000 MKII 

I'm looking to use Gear4Music as they seem reasonable priced and have everything in stock.

Behringer NX1000 Power Amplifier £236
https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Behringer-NX1000-Power-Amplifier/2FZN
(This looks neat and also not too big and energy saving)

SubZero C12 Passive Carpet PA Speaker, Pair £219
https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/SubZero-C12-Passive-Carpet-PA-Speaker-Pair/3YE0 
(I know they cheap but hopefully these will sound alright? Hoping to be able to tweak the sound with the mixer)

SubZero C12SA Active PA Subwoofer £249.99
https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/SubZero-C12SA-Active-PA-Subwoofer/3P55
(My thinking getting the active sub-woofer would save on the extra amp. Would it work like that? And would it be controlled with the crossover ok?)

Behringer CX2310 V2 Pro Super-X Crossover   £101.50
https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Behringer-CX2310-V2-Pro-Super-X-Crossover/2L8L
(Would the active subwoofer work directly from this point? It has a dedicated port.)

Behringer PMP500 Europower Mixer Amplifier £288.50
https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Behringer-PMP500-Europower-Mixer-Amplifier/1WMN
(Was recommended this unit. Is it overkill? It says Amplifier? I don't think this means I don't need an amp? (Sorry for the dumb question.) Maybe something smaller and cheaper would do? Any thoughts much appreciated. I guess I could have my home hifi and PC sound also connected through this when I'm not using the PA. Just thinking out loud. It does give me lots of dials to twist and turn.)

SubZero Phono Preamplifier £19.99
https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/SubZero-Phono-Preamplifier/211K
(I'll need one of these for my deck to start the chain?)

If all goes to plan I will want to add a dub siren effects unit which I assume would go through the mixer.

Would the above work? Been buying dub for over 35 years and it be amazing to hear it somewhere near how it should sound. 
I'm already over budget and what ever it cost's, the missus will only hear of half that.. lol..

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you for having a look. 

All the best... Mike
jammin75 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jammin75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2022 at 5:34pm
forget all that lot buy sum decent used kit instead Smile
feel the vibes !!!   "Who Feels it Knows it"            Strong like Lion              
MadMongos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadMongos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2022 at 6:07pm

Edited by MadMongos - 24 September 2022 at 6:13pm
MadMongos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadMongos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2022 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by jammin75 jammin75 wrote:

Just being lazy. Haven't the time or energy to be travelling around the country picking up bits that might not even work or fit my needs with my very limited knowledge. 
Yep, I know you are completely right though :) 
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2022 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by MadMongos MadMongos wrote:

Just being lazy. Haven't the time or energy to be travelling around the country picking up bits that might not even work or fit my needs with my very limited knowledge. 

Where in the country are you.

MadMongos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadMongos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2022 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by concept-10 concept-10 wrote:

The dub haven of Bournemouth-shire!
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2022 at 7:41pm

I'm in Blandford, I have some 12 inch tapped horns that play well into the 30s, they were prototypes so will need a tidy up and paint, 15mm birch ply, you can have them for £120 each with drivers, you can have a play with them at my workshop before you pay so you know what they can do, get yourself an amp and simple xover and run your hi-fi as mid tops, job done. 
MadMongos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadMongos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2022 at 8:57pm

[QUOTE=concept-10][QUOTE=MadMongos]

I'm in Blandford, I have some 12 inch tapped horns that play well into the 30s, they were prototypes so will need a tidy up and paint, 15mm birch ply, you can have them for £120 each with drivers, you can have a play with them at my workshop before you pay so you know what they can do, get yourself an amp and simple xover and run your hi-fi as mid tops, job done. 

Haha practically neighbours!! That sounds superb. I'm away in the morning, off to dance to Jah Youth Roots Ambassador Sound. But will DM in the week. Would love to come along and take a look at them. Especially as I didn't know you could do that with the hifi set up so I will be intrigued to hear more. Many thanks for the great message.
All the best
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply