Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Home HiFi/Cinema

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jebimasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home HiFi/Cinema
    Posted: 24 January 2012 at 8:15pm
Hey Guys! I know this Forum leans towards PA and live music applications more than home use, but thought it would be a good place to share my second project :)

My First build was a bit of a stab in the dark, 4 cubic feet reflex enclosures with 12" brandless woofers and 5" fullrange drivers shown below.

Obviously I was very proud of them, but ultimately they were flawed, Tuned too low for the woofers to really handle, impractically large for my living room, slightly hollow mid bass, and not really much in the very low end I was hoping for (clueless :P) 

The next step I thought of was to relieve them of the sub duty by building a dedicated sub, but then really were excessively large. I designed some smaller cabs and built a second sub to make 2 "stacks"

The first sub I built had the baffle mounted inside the edges on some batton and was glued and screwed from the outside inwards, I didn't like this much because then I realised I was buggered if I had to replace the driver for any reason. For the second sub I wanted it to be identical but decided to change the construction and have the baffle slightly larger and screwed to the front instead. I was in a slightly awkward position when I was drawing up the plans and had to go from memory, in the end the second sub ended up 18mm deeper because of a miscalculation when I was moving the baffle :S
Here's a picture of them in my living room at uni

The Subs are 80l tuned to 30Hz and use an Eminence Lab-12 in each, the ports are located at the top of the sub, a feature of the one I built first as it was intended to lie flat on the floor.
The Mid/tops I thought would be neat if I could use them without the subs and I recycled the drivers from my first build, so I made them 40l tuned at 60Hz to get a bit of kick but keep out the real low stuff. the 5" Galaxy SN5-8 drivers are sealed off from the 12" woofer, another lesson learned from the old cabs. The ports do face downwards, as there is a 2" gap between them and the subs, I know this is probably REALLY bad practice because they pretty much blow into each other, but I did some "testing" to see how blowy my subs were and how they were affected by the opening being close to a wall or the floor, no difference to my ears so I went ahead with it :P

I'm a student and will make do with what I have until I really get a bit of "spare" cash. As this is the case the Amps I use are ones my dad had knocking around at home. The Denon sorts out the mid tops and has a sub out which I take to the old old Trio receiver then then handles the subs nicely.

I did buy an old PPX-300 off here, but for some reason it's VERY quiet off the sub out, whilst the Trio works fine, I'm guessing it's something to do with impedance or the level, but I'm really not experienced enough to know. The PPX sounds great running from a laptop into the mid/tops though. Until I get a crossover/EQ and another amp I will settle with what I've got.

I think they sound great :) and probably will until I hear better ;)
Let me know what you think, good or bad, criticism will help me aim higher next time
Cheers!
 Post Reply Post Reply