Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

home made dance stack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: home made dance stack
    Posted: 09 September 2004 at 8:20pm
Hi there,
Check out this stuff i'm building. I'm planning to pump up a 100m2 dancefloor, so i'm building two home-brew dance stacks, each stack consists of 1 infra-bass, 2 sub-horns, one dual 10" & two 1" drivers.
Here are some plans & piccies, i've not got anywhere close to actually driving one stack yet, still need to buy all the remaining drivers as well as the amplification.
The infra-bass is more of an experiment than a really crucial part of the stack (it'll go in the club irrespective of performance. The cab will be mounted inside a big 2m long architectural horn, so i can swap the cab for a real horn if it turns out to be crap.) The sub-bass is bascially one of rog's 1850's & as such should be OK with the MT102 clones & the drivers.

http://hosting.mixcat.com/toomuchbass/plans.htm

What I cannot create, I do not understand
JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2004 at 10:31pm

Looks good, even if the infrasub is a little dubious to me. I mean the one side of the speaker is directly at the air.....

You may want to use a 1,4" HF driver instead of 2 1" (take a look at the new Oberton 1,4". It's cheap! and really good), because the MT102-ish design won't work THAT good above let's say 1,5k without a phase plug.

spaceman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spaceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2004 at 9:47am
very curvey, nice plumbing
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2004 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by JD01 JD01 wrote:

Looks good, even if the infrasub is a little dubious to me. I mean the one side of the speaker is directly at the air.....

You may want to use a 1,4" HF driver instead of 2 1" (take a look at the new Oberton 1,4". It's cheap! and really good), because the MT102-ish design won't work THAT good above let's say 1,5k without a phase plug.

Yeah the infrasub is a strange beast, it does however produce some very low & pretty loud notes. I've not measured anything for it yet, just listened & shook I'll compare it more objectively when i get one stack built up, i'll use smaart to see if i can get any meaningful measurements down that low. Although i suspect i'll prolly just listen to it & compare it directly with the sub-horns at about 50hz (too see how efficient it is at x-over) At the end of the day i usually just sit back & play with the x-over unitl it sounds good anyway! I try to get things sounding like a pair of sennheisers i've got, then turn the bass up!
The mid&top design is bothering me a little tho, if i x-over at say 1.5 then i've got to get a better driver, the D210's are not rated at much this low. The 10"'s are pretty OK, here's their claimed response,

it looks like a nice idea to x-over at around 2.5-3k. Even though the speakers are slightly obscured in the mt102 theres still enough surface area showing to get some good output at 3k i hope. If there's too much of a dip in response in the middle of the 10" cab i'll just add some more eq & pray
The reason for this fuss is to produce as budget system as i can. The D210Ti's are about 20quid (110Reais here!)each,the horns are less than 2 quid & the 10's are 35 each, so it's a matter of tailoring everything to suit whats locally affordable. What i'd like to do is make it a 5-way system with some nice horn loaded 8"'s filling in between the mid & top, but that's alot more expense, as well as the speakers i'd need to buy a new x-over & another amp too.

cheers
Rob
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2004 at 8:54am

WOOOOAAaAAHHH!!!!!!

your speakers are amazing. respect! You seem to have some serious woodworking skills.....

Beautiful!!!!!!

nightline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2004 at 8:27am

Are the designs of these infra-sub of you or from any site?

These woodworks are great, compiments!!!! 

Kind regards

Jack

JD01 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2004 at 3:10pm
Of course I haven't heard that Infrasub, but I guess the transient response won't be that good..... Are there some measurement results now?
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2004 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by nightline nightline wrote:

Are the designs of these infra-sub of you or from any site?

These woodworks are great, compiments!!!! 

Kind regards

Jack

Thanks! Although the final finish quality is actually pretty low (no problem in a dark nightclub!) I used really cheap materials (in places too cheap, so i had to double up cabinet walls etc...) If i was building the cabs for longevity (or any road use) i'd never use anything except decent quality 18mm or thicker ply.
As it turns out the exponentials are very stiff though, primarily because of their curvature. I was going to use 5 layers of 4mm ply to build up a 20mm thick expo, but discovered that 12mm sounded OK, in fact only two layers sounded OK, but a third layer added so much extra strength for little extra cost & effort.
The cabinet design is my own, but the drive principle is from graham hollimans patent (it's on that patent website, i've not got the direct link handy, the site is referred to in another infra-bass thread on this forum.)

see you,
Rob
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2004 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by JD01 JD01 wrote:

Of course I haven't heard that Infrasub, but I guess the transient response won't be that good..... Are there some measurement results now?

Hi there,
No useful measurements yet, i'm waiting for some more cash to buy all the remaining drivers & electronics, so i can do a horn/velocity coupled shoot out! You're right though, the transient response is never going to be amazing, but the cabinet is fairly compact & more importantly for me, it uses a readily available 18" driver, the same as i'm loading into my sub-horns, so i can squeeze a bit more discount out of the supplier! I look at that void 21" band-pass with envy
   I have tried the cab out as a sub, taking it up to 150hz (it sounds absolutely awful above that, the case just isn't stiff enough) & theres some, but not too much, detail down there!

cheers,
rob
 Post Reply Post Reply