Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

honk honk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breakdabeat pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: honk honk
    Posted: 21 February 2009 at 5:10pm
at what freq do 1850's/186 horns start honking??
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2009 at 5:33pm

when they get around here then they goo Honk honkBig smile
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk
breakdabeat pete View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breakdabeat pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2009 at 8:17pm
cross at 120hz   all good
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
jonminns View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonminns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2009 at 12:52am
Anything much above 120hz i think, whatever you do it won't honk like an f218!!
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2009 at 9:27am
I used to run mine up to 200Hz with acceptable results. I had 8 at one point.

If you are used to the sound of a short bandpass horns like the old turbo horns or HD15s then you will be suprised what the 1850s sound like up high.

For sure they sound slightly wrong playing the bottom end of vocals but the horn helps to filter out a lot of unwanted noises and to me it starts to sound more like a teenage boy whose voice has started breaking rather than a huge honking noise.

I would say 140 - 150Hz is optimal for the LPF. 120hz wastes a fair bit of the horns potential and keeping the crossover point a little higher adds to the hard bang that the 1850 is great for in my opinion.
me so horny, me love you long throw.
major_gloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote major_gloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2009 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by biotec biotec wrote:

I would say 140 - 150Hz is optimal for the LPF. 120hz wastes a fair bit of the horns potential and keeping the crossover point a little higher adds to the hard bang that the 1850 is great for in my opinion.

i'd agree with that. I usually cross mine over at 140 and dont find them offensively honky, i reckon they sound best run that way. as biotec says you would definately lose the guts of the bang that everyone loves about them if you went much lower. besides i like the honk......honk honk

Edited by major_gloom - 24 February 2009 at 6:23pm
 Post Reply Post Reply