Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horizontal vs vertical stack of 4 horns

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fracture_clinic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horizontal vs vertical stack of 4 horns
    Posted: 08 March 2021 at 5:06pm
Okay, trust me I have looked.

Aside from some dodgy drawings and the occasional useful tit bit of info about the pros and cons of stacking arrangements I can't find much useful.

Why would I stack 4 horns, let's say invaders 2x2 on their sides rather than standing all 4 upright and side by side?

Can I expect the horns stacked on their sides to outperform those stacked vertically? 

For argument's sake everything else is the same, amps, cables drivers, room etc. 

The mouth area in contact with the floor is the same in both instances and the total mouth area is the same.

If there is a difference between the two, how does this manifest? 

Cheers!

Edited by Fracture_clinic - 08 March 2021 at 5:06pm
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2021 at 12:08am
From very little photos I've seen of the box in question, it is not a perfect cube. It is a rectangular box. So the box follows the same principals as every other horn. Vertically stacked, narrow dispersion. Stacked Horizontally, wide dispersion.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2021 at 2:32am
There won't be any difference that is why you're not finding much chatter on this, the wavelengths in question are much larger that the speaker stack so acoustically it doesn't matter, use whatever layout you like the looks of better. 
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2021 at 3:01am
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

There won't be any difference that is why you're not finding much chatter on this, the wavelengths in question are much larger that the speaker stack so acoustically it doesn't matter, use whatever layout you like the looks of better. 

Not based on my experience. Bass horns are directional within their pass band. The whole idea of stacking horns vertically is to minimize spills from the sides. I've done too many events outdoors with bass horns decades ago where, the orientation of the box plays a factor on the dispersion. This may not be noticeable indoors with so many boundaries bouncy the sound around. However, outdoors is a whole different story.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2021 at 5:49am
That is interesting Elliot and I must confess I didn't think of directionality when I answered above, the OP asked about "performance" so I was just thinking in terms of SPL produced. 
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2021 at 12:54pm
As per my knowledge vertical stacking is narrowing vertical dispersion, horizontal not so much.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Fracture_clinic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fracture_clinic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2021 at 11:02pm
Thanks for taking the time to reply guys! Really interesting to know about the dispersion.

Edited by Fracture_clinic - 10 March 2021 at 11:03pm
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2021 at 2:49pm
If you want to start investigating the possibilities of directional control of bass, the first thing you need is about 32 bass bins ;)
As people have said, especially indoors, a small number (say less than 8) of 18" bins won't show much change in directionality or dispersion whichever way you stack them. Once you have enough bins for one dimension of your stack (the width or the height) to become comparable to the length of sound waves in their passband, you would start to see directional effects. It is just the same as the way a 12" speaker starts to have narrowing dispersion at the frequency where the wavelength is about 12 inches.

You might perceive, especially outdoors or in a very big space, the relatively small area around a small bass stack where there *are* differences in SPL - obviously if you stand behind it vs in front of it, you're probably going to feel more pressure in front, and your SPL meter would read higher. However, at a range of more than say 10 metres, this effect disappears and the sound field becomes pretty much even 360 degrees (again outdoors, away from boundaries.)
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
smoore View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2021 at 9:45pm
+1, I'm pretty sure stacking tall will provide more vertical directivity (less sound travelling into space!) as the effective mouth size is now bigger in that plane (especially including our mirror image in the *perfectly reflecting floor*). Horizontal dispersion will remain the same, ie wider. 

Stacking wide and low will provide narrow horizontal directivity. Think of how slot diffraction works? Narrow opening compared to wavelength = wide dispersion.

Increased Directivity = increased pressure on axis but more lobing off axis! Rog mogale has a good paper called bass arrays (I think) on this.
smoore View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2021 at 9:48pm
As others have pointed out this is frequency / wavelength dependant. For 4 bass bins you might see a difference in directivity in the upper end but nothing at 40hz.
 Post Reply Post Reply